Can I get a few thoughts on these backtest results? - page 4

Ok, just for grins, before I go to bed. I fixed the OrderSend issues...

*Note, no trades are actually placed after 04/14/2011, I'm assuming I tightened up the entry points too much.

Here is Jan 2011 - Present

Here is Jan 2009 - Present

Here is Jan 2009 - Present (Using 4% of balance for each trade, instead of 2%)

Also, I'm sorry DanJP for hijacking your thread.

maj1es2tic:
Also, I'm sorry DanJP for hijacking your thread.

No worries, still enjoying the topic.

Ok cool. :-) One more check for volatility took away 4 of the 5 loss trades, while keeping the profit trades intact. The one remaining loss trade was traced back to a set of winning trades. I added on to a trend trade 7 times, and the last add-on was too close to when the trend ended, so that one went for a loss, while the other ones were all profits.

maj1es2tic:

Ok cool. :-) One more check for volatility took away 4 of the 5 loss trades, while keeping the profit trades intact. The one remaining loss trade was traced back to a set of winning trades. I added on to a trend trade 7 times, and the last add-on was too close to when the trend ended, so that one went for a loss, while the other ones were all profits.

What are you doing to check for Volatility? I was playing around with the ATR indicator. It worked ok but the levels were pair specific the way I was using it.

Atr + standard deviation worked for me dynamically for pairs. I added spread change to it.

danjp:

What are you doing to check for Volatility? I was playing around with the ATR indicator. It worked ok but the levels were pair specific the way I was using it.

The code I added is pasted below. Now, just because I use that to say don't trade, doesn't mean that it's not a good/valid price movement. However, this allows me

to get into the trade a few bars later (assuming my indicators are still showing good signs of a trend in that direction), and it saves me from what happens 90+% of the

the time, which is a giant price move up, then a retracement and then a continuation of the price movement up. 9 times out of 10, if I get into the position at this point,

I get stoplossed out and then the price moves back up. So, this code saves me from that the majority of the time. YMMV.

// If the close of 4 candles ago was >70pips, we don't take the initial trade, it's too fast of a movement.

// It could indicate some breaking news triggered the price movement or pending news about to break.

if (Close[4]>Close[1]) {

if ( ((Close[4]-Close[1])/Point) >= 700 ) {

logger("WPPv9_EA: CheckForNewOpen(): Close[4] >= 70pips away from Close[1], could be a news break. Dont trade here.");

stepForward = 100;

return (false);

}

} else {

if ( ((Close[1]-Close[4])/Point) >= 700 ) {

logger("WPPv9_EA: CheckForNewOpen(): Close[4] >= 70pips away from Close[1], could be a news break. Dont trade here.");

stepForward = 100;

return (false);

}

}

forexCoder:
Atr + standard deviation worked for me dynamically for pairs. I added spread change to it.
Yeah, for my signal line on my custom indicator, I use some math around StdDev and ATR to generate the signal line. If it's < 0, it's dead on accurate 95% of the time to indicate that the market is sideways/rangebound.

maj1es2tic:
Yeah, for my signal line on my custom indicator, I use some math around StdDev and ATR to generate the signal line. If it's < 0, it's dead on accurate 95% of the time to indicate that the market is sideways/rangebound.

Thanks to you and forexCoder for the help. I'm going add StdDev into my Volatility function in both of my EA's that I am working on.
Reason: