Relative Drawdown

Hi,

I would like to know how the Relative Drawdown is calculated. I have googled and read other explanations, but it seems everybody has a different answer and opinion.

I know that Absolute Drawdown is the maximum amount under the initial deposit we got in the simulation.

Also, I have understand the Maximal Drawdown is the maximum peak in the equity with his following mimimum.

Therefore, rather than an explanation with words about Relative Drawdown, I need an example with numbers or formulas if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi gordon, thanks for your answer, but I'm affraid the explanation are not clear at all for me, I still have doubts about Relative DD.

Is it possible to have an example with numbers?

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/123865

Relative Drawdown is the highest Max-Drawdown in Percentage during the test period.

Example: You start with 100$. On your first trade your Equity goes down to 1$. You just suffered a 99% Maximum Drawdown and Relative Drawdown will Lock that as the highest draw-down it's ever seen in Percentage.

Then your luck turns around and price spikes into your direction bringing you to 1000$. But you say No-"I'm not gonna close that order until I make it to $10,000. But the market says, "I'm due for a retrace" and starts going against you again and Equity drops to 800$.

At this point Fear kicks in and you say "Enough-is-Enough" and close the order. The Maximum-Drawdown as defined is 200$ Dollars. Yes Maximum Drawdown looks at the Cha$-Chang$. And where was Equity before it toke that draw-down, 1000$. The Max-Drawdown in % is 20 ($1000-$-200 which brought you to $800).

Relative draw-down does not care about the 20% because thats not the Highest Draw-down it's seen in Percentage. So it reports what it'd seen which is 99%.

ubzen:

Relative Drawdown is the highest Max-Drawdown in Percentage during the test period.

Example: You start with 100$. On your first trade your Equity goes down to 1$. You just suffered a 99% Maximum Drawdown and Relative Drawdown will Lock that as the highest draw-down it's ever seen in Percentage.

Then your luck turns around and price spikes into your direction bringing you to 1000$. But you say No-"I'm not gonna close that order until I make it to $10,000. But the market says, "I'm due for a retrace" and starts going against you again and Equity drops to 800$.

At this point Fear kicks in and you say "Enough-is-Enough" and close the order. The Maximum-Drawdown as defined is 200$ Dollars. Yes Maximum Drawdown looks at the Cha$-Chang$. And where was Equity before it toke that draw-down, 1000$. The Max-Drawdown in % is 20 ($1000-$-200 which brought you to $800).

Relative draw-down does not care about the 20% because thats not the Highest Draw-down it's seen in Percentage. So it reports what it'd seen which is 99%.

Totally clear now.

Thanks a lot.

The official explanation about MaxDrawdown and RelativeDrawdown is here: https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/trading_advanced/history_report#drawdown

This is an example caculation for a Balance, but for Equity is made in the same way.

Trading Report - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5 Help
Trading Report - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
The trading platform allows you to automatically save and publish account statement reports. To save the report, select "Report" in the context menu of the History tab. Header Orders This block contains all orders from the account history in the form of a table. The table features all the information fields available for orders in the...

Ubzen #:

Thanks for this detailed explanation! God bless you!