How can I open multiple trade positions in mt5?

I am more familiar wit mt4 but recently downloaded mt5, I realize that when I open a second trade position, it automatically closes the first one I opened. How can I overcome this? Please help someone

I had same feeling in January when I came here - so read my post from that time (with link) :

Forum

How to Start with Metatrader 5

newdigital, 2013.01.10 08:23

When I installed Metatrader 5 and started to trade - I was really confused about:

- where are my orders,

- how can I see all my trades and close them one by one (not all of them simultaniously).

- i open sell ... after that - I open the other sell on same pair ... orders are summarized!
Why MT5 wants for me to martingale with no hedging :) :)

So, for the first time, just to start - we need to read this article:

Orders, Positions, and Deals in MetaTrader 5 

Welcome to mt5. If you wish to trade that way then mt4 is the best option for that.

thanks newdigital and thanks Tommy, I see that mt4 is for me cos with mt5 its only one open position at a time.

3plem:
I am more familiar wit mt4 but recently downloaded mt5, I realize that when I open a second trade position, it automatically closes the first one I opened. How can I overcome this? Please help someone
I do not know if it can help you, but maybe you can find two highly correlated currency pairs, or whatever, and go opening and closing positions in both charts. For instance, gold and silver. You go short in gold, and when your strategy tells you it is the time, then go long in silver.

3plem:
thanks newdigital and thanks Tommy, I see that mt4 is for me cos with mt5 its only one open position at a time.
I have heard that this is due to a new industry standard, which means that sooner or later we will have to trade this way. I don't know. Would be great if someone puts here some link explaining this, or maybe I'm not right.

You could use the VOM Virtual Order Manager.

A Virtual Order Manager to track orders within the position-centric MetaTrader 5 environment

A Virtual Order Manager to track orders within the position-centric MetaTrader 5 environment
  • Paul
  • www.mql5.com
This class library can be added to an MetaTrader 5 Expert Advisor to enable it to be written with an order-centric approach broadly similar to MetaTrader 4, in comparison to the position-based approach of MetaTrader 5. It does this by keeping track of virtual orders at the MetaTrader 5 client terminal, while maintaining a protective broker stop for each position for disaster protection.

Comments that do not relate to this topic, have been moved to "How to open buy and sell simultaneously on MT4 ?".
Reason: