What is happening in this code from MA Cross EA?

I was wondering what exactly is happening in the following block of code:

Sym = Symbol();
   TimeFrame = Period();   
   SymPoints = MarketInfo( Sym, MODE_POINT  );
   SymDigits = MarketInfo( Sym, MODE_DIGITS );
   //---
        if( SymPoints == 0.001   ) { SymPoints = 0.01;   SymDigits = 3; }
   else if( SymPoints == 0.00001 ) { SymPoints = 0.0001; SymDigits = 5; }

I understand the first 4 lines, I only want to know what exactly are the 'if' and 'else if' statements doing? And why? Are they saying: "If the position of the pip is 0.001, then change it to 0.01"? (Same thing with the 0.00001, changing it to 0.0001).

Then does that mean we are ignoring the 'sub pips' in this situation (what was the 0.00001 and the 0.001) ? ... and only using the 0.0001 and 0.01 instead, like back when when the rates were quoted with just 2 or 4 decimals instead of the newer 3 or 5 decimals. Or do I have this wrong? I have taken a couple years off from FX and a few things have changed with IBFX.

I have gone through the reference in the MQL4 book, as well as the dictionary in MetaEditor, and searched the forums here, but I am still unclear about this little section of code.

So, if somebody could explain this, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I know this is a basic question, but I'm just starting to learn MQL. TIA.

i c u can't sleep so

Sym = Symbol();                             // declare the var Sym as Symbol()
TimeFrame = Period();                       // declare the var TimeFrame as Period()
SymPoints = MarketInfo( Sym, MODE_POINT  ); // declare the var SymPoints what is the Point size in the quote currency
SymDigits = MarketInfo( Sym, MODE_DIGITS ); // declare the var SymDigits how many digits after decimal point in the symbol prices
//---
if( SymPoints == 0.001)                     // checking: if the Point size = 0.001 then
   { SymPoints = 0.01;   SymDigits = 3; }   // changing var SymPoints to 0.01 & SymDigits to 3
else if( SymPoints == 0.00001 )             // if the Point size = 0.00001 then
   { SymPoints = 0.0001; SymDigits = 5; }   // changing var SymPoints to 0.0001 & SymDigits to 5

qjol:

i c u can't sleep so

"i c u can't sleep so" ... LOL ... that's a true statement!

BTW, wrote that last night, but now it's the afternoon now where I'm am. I am still a little foggy on this part.

A couple quick questions:

You said: "// declare the var SymDigits how many digits after decimal point in the symbol prices"\

1) The statement:

if( SymPoints == 0.001)

checks to see if the double variable 'SymPoints' (the points size) is equal to 0.001. If true, then these statements:

{ SymPoints = 0.01;   SymDigits = 3; }

are executed, which change the double variable 'SymPoints' to 0.01, and the int variable ' SymDigits' to 3. This I understand 100%

2) What I don't understand is: what exactly is the purpose of this? Is it because the rates are now quoted with 3 digits (JPY) to the right of the decimals,

and 5 decimals (EUR, GBP, etc...) ?

3) If so, then does that mean these statements are telling the program to ignore the last digits to the right (the 3rd or 5th or sub-pips)

and read only the 2nd and 4th? (the 'traditional pip' from the older style rates that were quoted with 2 or 4 digits to the right of the decimal) ... I'm still a bit confused.

outofdebt:

2) What I don't understand is: what exactly is the purpose of this? Is it because the rates are now quoted with 3 digits (JPY) to the right of the decimals,

and 5 decimals (EUR, GBP, etc...) ?

3) If so, then does that mean these statements are telling the program to ignore the last digits to the right (the 3rd or 5th or sub-pips)

and read only the 2nd and 4th? (the 'traditional pip' from the older style rates that were quoted with 2 or 4 digits to the right of the decimal) ... I'm still a bit confused.

A) Don't assume everyone now uses 3 & 5 DP - some brokers still use 2 & 4 DP.

B) Some people/EAs still think in terms of 'old' pips & need to convert to the 'old way', as "slippage of 3 pips" say is fine for '2 & 4 DP' but not for '3 & 5 DP'

Personally, I write code that works with any number of DP, but I can't force my run-anywhere-even-furlongs-a-fortnight methodology on the rest of the world

If you want a trailing stop of say 10 pips, the value passed to the broker must be adjusted to a double. On a 4 digit broker you just multiply by Point, but on a 5 digit you multiply by 10*Point.

The problem with the above code is it does NOT adjust slippage.

//++++ These are adjusted for 5 digit brokers.
double  pips2points,    // slippage  3 pips    3=points    30=points
        pips2dbl;       // Stoploss 15 pips    0.0015      0.00150
int     Digits.pips;    // DoubleToStr(dbl/pips2dbl, Digits.pips)
int     init(){
    if (Digits == 5 || Digits == 3){    // Adjust for five (5) digit brokers.
                pips2dbl    = Point*10; pips2points = 10;   Digits.pips = 1;
    } else {    pips2dbl    = Point;    pips2points =  1;   Digits.pips = 0; }
    // OrderSend(... Slippage.Pips * pips2points, Bid - StopLossPips * pips2dbl

WHRoeder:

If you want a trailing stop of say 10 pips, the value passed to the broker must be adjusted to a double. On a 4 digit broker you just multiply by Point, but on a 5 digit you multiply by 10*Point.

The problem with the above code is it does NOT adjust slippage.

OK, now I get it thanks to everyone's help here, I really appreciate it. I am working on my own EA and I was "borrowing" a section of code out of the MA Cross EA (the one that comes with MT4 platform). I had an idea but could not quite get what it was actually for. BTW, I just stumbled on a good article that deals with EAs and IBFX's new 5 dec rates. Here's the link for anyone who may need ther info:

https://www.mql5.com/go?link=https://www.automatedtradingsoftware.com/blog/mql-programming/some-eas-could-stop-working-when-ibfx-upgrades/

Reason: