historical data from 1970

hi there,

I have a demo account at instaforex... MT4 only loads the historical datal back to 1999, is it possible to load everything starting with 1970?

thx

I recommend you search the forums as there are hundreds, if not thousands, of similar questions and solutions posted...

1005phillip:

I recommend you search the forums as there are hundreds, if not thousands, of similar questions and solutions posted...

jap, I did, but I havent found the answer yet unfortunately :)

are there at all quotes back to 1970?

The obvious answer to your question is "yes"...but what you are really asking is "how do I obtain historical forex data going back to 1970" and the answer to that is you must spend money and have some form of presence in the industry in a professional capacity. (meaning you need to have licensed platforms/products that are generally licensed by professionals in the industry)

And no, MetaTrader is not considered to be a "professional" platform...as evidenced by the fact the data you can download with it only goes back to 1999 and if you scrutinize the data itself you will find massive gaps (data missing for months and weeks at a time) as well as lots of erroneous data (spikes and obvious misquotes).

It goes without saying that you get what you pay for...and how much did MetaTrader4 and the data cost you?

1005phillip:

The obvious answer to your question is "yes"...but what you are really asking is "how do I obtain historical forex data going back to 1970" and the answer to that is you must spend money and have some form of presence in the industry in a professional capacity. (meaning you need to have licensed platforms/products that are generally licensed by professionals in the industry)

And no, MetaTrader is not considered to be a "professional" platform...as evidenced by the fact the data you can download with it only goes back to 1999 and if you scrutinize the data itself you will find massive gaps (data missing for months and weeks at a time) as well as lots of erroneous data (spikes and obvious misquotes).

It goes without saying that you get what you pay for...and how much did MetaTrader4 and the data cost you?

hehe, thanks for that enlightning answer :)

jdegenfellner:

hehe, thanks for that enlightning answer :)

since you're so skilled: do you know if one can backtest an EA on more than one currency pair at the moment?

I know, its probably been asked very often, but I dont see an answer in the forum...

nope, not possible trough strategytester on mt4

jdegenfellner:

since you're so skilled: do you know if one can backtest an EA on more than one currency pair at the moment?

I know, its probably been asked very often, but I dont see an answer in the forum...

As zzuegg states, it is not possible using the existing strategy tester that is built into MT4. However you can use the existing strategy tester to run an EA that is in effect a virtual strategy tester in its own right which accesses multiple currency pairs worth of data and so on. People have done it before, myself to a limited extent as well, but I don't like to make complicated trading systems so I avoid using it on the basis of philosophical grounds rather than it being a technical limitation.

1005phillip:

As zzuegg states, it is not possible using the existing strategy tester that is built into MT4. However you can use the existing strategy tester to run an EA that is in effect a virtual strategy tester in its own right which accesses multiple currency pairs worth of data and so on. People have done it before, myself to a limited extent as well, but I don't like to make complicated trading systems so I avoid using it on the basis of philosophical grounds rather than it being a technical limitation.

okay, thanks for your help!
Reason: