Adding Indicators on Indicators

HI Guys,

My first day on MT4 but/and Im having a problem thats driving me mental!!!

First up im using version 4 build 226 (24th March 2009) on fxcm.co.uk.

Im simply trying to add a 9 SMA into (on top of) my CCI indicator. I have checked all over the web and find the same answer "drag MA (from navigator) onto CCI indicator and pop up Moving Average property screen, change the "Apply to:" from Close to "First Indicator's Data" and that's it."

But no matter what I do or how i do it the MA always goes to the main screen and i certainly dont get any pop up or menu item drop down list allowing me to select "first indicators data".

Is it the version of software Im using? Or am I not doing something correctly?

Please help.

Thanks

Cruelhoax

cruelhoax:

Im simply trying to add a 9 SMA into (on top of) my CCI indicator. I have checked all over the web and find the same answer "drag MA (from navigator) onto CCI indicator and pop up Moving Average property screen, change the "Apply to:" from Close to "First Indicator's Data" and that's it."

It sounds as though you may be used to some other trading software (with ESignal sounding particularly likely). You cannot combine indicators in this way, e.g. to create a moving average of an indicator by applying the moving average indicator to another indicator. The MT4 platform and its programming language simply doesn't work that way. You need a separate indicator which draws a moving average of the CCI. Unfortunately, I can't immediately see such a thing in the Codebase.

CH

See the free SFX_MA_On_CCI indicator from here

-BB-

Some indicators/oscillators can be added on top of each other in mt4. However moving averages is not one of them. I had to play around with mt4 to find out which could and which cant. If the indicator is drawn on price chart by Default then chances are it's not going to draw in separate window and vice versa.

ubzen:
Some indicators/oscillators can be added on top of each other in mt4. However moving averages is not one of them. I had to play around with mt4 to find out which could and which cant. If the indicator is drawn on price chart by Default then chances are it's not going to draw in separate window and vice versa.

I think you and cruelhoax are talking at cross-purposes. You seem to be talking about the ability to get indicators such as MACD and CCI to draw in the same sub-window. Cruelhoax seems to be talking about dragging the MA indicator onto the CCI indicator in order to draw a moving average of the CCI values (not a moving average of the price).

The indicators which BB has posted do the latter. They're from his very useful www.selectfx.net site, BTW. [ <g> ]

Reason: