unknown ticket x for OrderClose function

I'm trying to close half of the trade once it reached 1x the difference between orderopen level and the stoploss. My EA closes half the position correctly, but I get this error:

If the ticket number is 2

unknown ticket 2 for OrderClose function

OrderClose error 4108

I know 4108 is "ERR_INVALID_TICKET", so it seems to be something with the ticket.

Here's my code:

if(OrderSelect(cnt,SELECT_BY_POS,MODE_TRADES)==false)
{
Print("Error="+GetLastError());
return;
}
if(OrderMagicNumber()!=MagicNumber || OrderSymbol()!=Symbol()) continue;
if(OrderType()==OP_BUY)
{

if((Bid-OrderOpenPrice())>=(OrderOpenPrice()-BuyStop)&&(CloseHalfFlag==false))
{
OrderClose(OrderTicket(),NormalizeDouble((OrderLots()/2),2),Bid,3,Violet);
CloseHalfFlag=true;

}
}

Any ideas?

ERR_INVALID_TICKET 4108 Invalid ticket.

ERR_INVALID_TICKET 4108 Invalid ticket.

When exactly do u get this error?

Partial close changes the ticket number (of the remaining open position), so if u attempt next time to close the SAME ticket, that would cause 4108 (since the ticket was already closed). If u r using this code in a loop, then make sure it loops down properly, otherwise it won't do what it's supposed to (but I can't see how that would cause this error).

And one more thing:

Thanks for the tips.

I get the error while backtesting when executing this line:

Here's the context:

void CheckForClose()
{
   int cnt;
   for(cnt=0;cnt<OrdersTotal();cnt++) 
   {           

if(OrderSelect(cnt,SELECT_BY_POS,MODE_TRADES)==false) 
      {
         Print("Error="+GetLastError());
         return;
      }
      if(OrderMagicNumber()!=MagicNumber || OrderSymbol()!=Symbol()) continue;
         if(OrderType()==OP_BUY)                  
           {    

if((Bid-OrderOpenPrice())>=(OrderOpenPrice()-BuyStop)&&(CloseHalfFlag==false))//Close half if Bid-Open>Open-stop
                      {
                        CloseHalfFlag=true;
                      }    

if(OrderStopLoss()<(Bid-(OrderOpenPrice()-BuyStop)))//Trailing stop
                      {
                        OrderModify(OrderTicket(),OrderOpenPrice(),Bid-(OrderOpenPrice()-BuyStop),OrderTakeProfit(),0,Green);
                        return(0);
                      }

}
   }

While preparing this, I tested it while commenting out the trailing stop, and the error went away. Would OrderModify change the ticket number? When the trailing stop executes OrderModify, the ticket number stays the same in the "Results" page of the tester. But it does change when the OrderClose executes as you said. And yet, it seems to be the OrderModify that leads to the unknown ticket error.

I figured it out. The error is caused because OrderClose changes the ticket number and and the subsequent OrderModify calls the wrong ticket number. Since OrderClose changes the ticket number and the OrderModify command immediately follows it, it's calling the wrong ticket number.

Thanks Gordon for the good questions and ideas.

I've noticed in your posts that you're very detail oriented. I need to improve in that area.

joetrader:

I figured it out. The error is caused because OrderClose changes the ticket number and and the subsequent OrderModify calls the wrong ticket number. Since OrderClose changes the ticket number and the OrderModify command immediately follows it, it's calling the wrong ticket number.

Exactly.

Please note that u still need to have your loop counter decrementing, or it won't work properly...

for( cnt=OrdersTotal()-1;cnt>=0;cnt-- ) 

More info here: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/119840

joetrader:

Thanks Gordon for the good questions and ideas.

I've noticed in your posts that you're very detail oriented. I need to improve in that area.

Dear Joetrader

can you please help me. Im having a similar issue woth my code. What did you do to prevent

: unknown ticket 1 for OrderClose function

and error

Error: 4108 invalid ticket

Heres my bit of code.. can you please help:

Can you give me the bit of code you used to get rid of this error

Condition 1
RefreshRates();

if ( fastma1 < slowma1 && fastma2 > slowma2 && fastma1 < midma1 || fastma1 < midma1 && fastma2 > midma2 && fastma1 < slowma1)
{
Exitstage2 = false; // Force initialise
Exitstage1 = false; // Force initialise

tp = NormalizeDouble(Ask - InitTP * Point, Digits);
sl = NormalizeDouble(Ask + InitSL * Point, Digits);
OrderSend(Symbol(), OP_SELL, Lot, NormalizeDouble(Bid, Digits), Slippage, sl, tp, comment1, iMagic, CLR_NONE, HotPink);
err = GetLastError();
Print("Error: ", err, " ", ErrorDescription(err));
}

I then exit using this:

if ( Exitstage2 )
{
if (OrderType() == OP_BUY && iClose (Symbol(), 0,1) < iBands(NULL,0,slow_pds,1,0,PRICE_CLOSE,MODE_UPPER,1))
{
Exitstage2 = false; // Initiallise

err = GetLastError();

if (Lot != 0 /*&& err == 0*/ ) // if Lot is not equal to zero
{
if (OrderLots() < Lot)
{
CurrLot = OrderLots();
}
else
{
CurrLot = Lot;
}
RefreshRates();
OrderClose(OrderTicket(), CurrLot, NormalizeDouble(Ask, Digits), Slippage, Black);
err = GetLastError();

}
}

if (OrderType() == OP_SELL && iClose (Symbol(), 0,1) > iBands(NULL,0,slow_pds,1,0,PRICE_CLOSE,MODE_LOWER,1))
{
Exitstage2 = false; // Initiallise
err = GetLastError();

if (Lot != 0 /*&& err == 0*/) // if Lot is not equal to zero
{
if (OrderLots() < Lot)
{
CurrLot = OrderLots();
}
else
{
CurrLot = Lot;
}
RefreshRates();
OrderClose(OrderTicket(), CurrLot, NormalizeDouble(Ask, Digits), Slippage, Black);
err = GetLastError();

}
}
} // End of exitStage2 */

I also use trailing stop and take some part of postion out as profit levels are reached.

Read carefully about OrderSelect().

Reason: