Does Ctrl-C copy & then CLOSES your MQL4 EDITOR ? Are you USING VISTA &/or SPYWARE DOCTOR from PC TOOLS ?

Hi all,

My MQL4 Editor crashes and closes EVERY time I use the 'Copy' feature, regardless of if I use the menu with the mouse, the command in the 'Edit' menu or Control-C . It does copy it, but then bam, down it goes. Most definitely a pain )< 8( It does NOT do it in ANY other applications or instances.

I have uninstalled all of the MQL4 programs and files, deleted any remaining files. Cleaned and defragmented my registry several times with 3 different proven programs. This process included several restarts and full shut downs including draining off all residual energy.

Then I re-installed MQL4, but I still have the same problem. I’ve tried to utilize a ‘mental work around’, but with over 30 years of conditioning that isn’t being very successful either. Plus with my lousy ‘tipng & spulng’ I do a lot of copy and pasting, so not having that feature makes it much more cumbersome, to say nothing of all the code that I lose from last time I saved it to disk.

MQL5 developers take note: an AutoSave feature like the one in WinWord 2007 would be a very good feature for the editor. It doesn’t overwrite your current file until you do it yourself, put makes and keeps a current back up of all open files.

Here is all of you very experienced and proficient computer aficionados opportunity to shine!

Other Vista users are reporting this same thing (https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/117647). One of my security programs : SPYWARE DOCTOR form PC TOOLS is flagging 'False Positives of MQL4/MT4 code. Especial MetaLang.Exe: MQL4's compiler which it quarantines. If this is happening to you, please let us and PC Tools about it.

Thanks to any and all help with this very frustrating and unproductive problem.

I have no problem, and I don't run a lot of interfering add-ons... Results with Vista and now Win7 ("It's Not Vista!!! We changed the Name!!")

I also install MT4 outside of the "official" program space, in my case, the installations are on partition M:... Definately not in C:\Program Files

Currently Win7 -- Avast antivirus free version -- router (hardware firewall) -- windows firewall -- that's about it.

i dont use spyware doctor, but can you set it to ignore metalang.exe and metaeditor?

same problem too.

phy:

I have no problem, and I don't run a lot of interfering add-ons... Results with Vista and now Win7 ("It's Not Vista!!! We changed the Name!!")

I also install MT4 outside of the "official" program space, in my case, the installations are on partition M:... Definately not in C:\Program Files

Currently Win7 -- Avast antivirus free version -- router (hardware firewall) -- windows firewall -- that's about it.

Hi Phy,

I utilize a similar setup, though my McAfee 3 user protection suite has expired. The other 2 security programs that I use other than the ones built into Vista: SpyWare Doctor from PC Tolls and ‘NoAdware’ from NoAdware.NET are much more effective than the McAafee is many times over. I suspect it is Spyware Doctor that flags numerous MQ software, especially the MetaLang.Exe that I am having the problems with as containing a dangerous virus (Trojan?) I have SD set to ignore the MQ software executables, but it may be tripping it up anyway.

circlesquares:
i dont use spyware doctor, but can you set it to ignore metalang.exe and metaeditor?

I do have it set to ignore the MetaLang.Exe along with all of the other MQ Executables, but Spyware Doctor could still be tripping over the editor and causing this.

Isn’t MetaLang.Exe the MetaEditor? That is, they are one and the same.

ledzep:
same problem too.

Are you using the Spyware Doctor from PC Tools?

DougRH4x:

Are you using the Spyware Doctor from PC Tools?

hi dough

i dont know why you dont use firefox and its functions to set an individual fontsize and color to display webpages.

phy:

I had the same problem (Ctrl-C crashed MetaEditor) on Win7 with MT4 iinstalled in official programs space (C:\Program Files); installing MT4 outside (C:\Program Files) seems to solve problem. Thanks!

ihldiaf:

I had the same problem (Ctrl-C crashed MetaEditor) on Win7 with MT4 iinstalled in official programs space (C:\Program Files); installing MT4 outside (C:\Program Files) seems to solve problem. Thanks!

i am having same problem on vista. Reinstalled on c:/MT4 folder, but does not solve the problem.

Then i installed ODL's MT4 doesn't give me any problem for copy / paste.

you can try that too.

SOLUTION

I have found the crash to happen on my machine only when the following scenario exists (that I have found so far):

1) MetaEditor was closed with no files open, so when I start MetaEditor again there are no files open. If I open a file and try to copy text, MetaEditor crashes.

SOLUTIONS that have worked for me:

1) Leave a dummy script open all the time, so that when you start MetaEditor again, at least one file is open all ready.

OR

2) If you start MetaEditor and no files are open, create a new dummy scipt and then open the file you want to edit. If you are creating a new file to begin with, it won't crash when you copy text (at least it hasn't for me).

Hope this helps, it has worked perfectly for me.

LHT

Reason: