How to calculate the absolute angle of the 'Line' Chart both in real time and for previous points and ranges in the chart ? - page 2

OK, fair points . . . you might want to send a PM to jjc as well though.

RaptorUK:
OK, fair points . . . you might want to send a PM to jjc as well though.

I'm not very familiar with trend-by-angle, but it appears to draw a line which MT4 then constantly redraws as necessary if the scale of the axes or the window dimensions change. In other words, its "implication" or "meaning" in terms of price then varies if you do anything which alters the axes. It's the same principle as I've tried to describe before, except that it swaps over the thing which is static and the thing which is variable and arbitrary.

For example, let's say that you draw a 45-degree line from a particular historic close, which will hit the y-axis at some price or other. You then resize the window so that the ratio of height to width is different. The line will no longer hit the y-axis at the same price. All you've done is resize a window on your computer's desktop. Is that supposed to affect future market direction?

The further important point I omitted to (re-)mention in my (re-)post 2 years ago is that angles are not only arbitrary, but are often in effect determined by future events which you wouldn't have been aware of at the period you are examining.

The example to hand is an image from a post in a related topic (https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/118563) by FXTrader2008: https://c.mql5.com/mql4/forum/2009/07/m15_55_1_small.jpg. This image falls neatly into two halves as a result of the very big bar in the middle. If you draw a line between almost any two closes on the left-hand side of the image, before the big bar, then the angle is going to appear very "flat". But that's only because of an exceptional later event, where the EURUSD changes by more than 2 cents in less than 15 minutes. If you had been drawing angles in the past just before that big bar happened, then you would have got very different results: much "larger" angles, which only subsequently "became flat" because of the enormous and exceptional price movement.

Reason: