EA's allowed?

Sorry for this simple question but I could not find the answer in a search on this site: how many EA's can I run simultaneously on mql4? Thank you very much for the help...... Daniel

In the context of a chart, you can have only one EA.

In the context of an account, you can have one or more charts open.

In the context of an MT platform instance, you can have one account open.

In the context of an operating system instance you may have one or more MT platform instances.

In the context of a computer, you may have one or more operating system instances.

In the context of a trading system you may have one or more computers.

CB

cloudbreaker:

In the context of an operating system instance you may have one or more MT platform instances.

In the context of a computer, you may have one or more operating system instances.

CB

so basically, I can have 8 charts open with all having one Ea on them? I thought I read that only 5 could be running at once? Please clarify.....

I don't believe there is a theoretical/logical limit of 5 with regard to the maximum number of EAs in an instance. There are practical limits though.

You need to take care in your code if you need many EAs running in the same platform instance. You will have more likelyhood of "trade context busy" situations. One platform instance equals one trade context.

I do code my EAs to be good citizens, but I also tend to avoid running more than 2 or 3 within a single platform instance. I prefer to have multiple platform instances (each running an EA in a chart) using the same account.

CB

cloudbreaker:

I don't believe there is a theoretical/logical limit of 5 with regard to the maximum number of EAs in an instance. There are practical limits though.

You need to take care in your code if you need many EAs running in the same platform instance. You will have more likelyhood of "trade context busy" situations. One platform instance equals one trade context.

I do code my EAs to be good citizens, but I also tend to avoid running more than 2 or 3 within a single platform instance. I prefer to have multiple platform instances (each running an EA in a chart) using the same account.

CB

CB,

I am a total novice there....ideally, I could have 8 going with the strategies/systems I run but I don't know how to open multiple instances on the same account? I know enough code to just get myself in trouble! :)~ I finally have the code working so the EA's behave with one another, taking it the next step might get me really confused? Thanks for the help/info! Daniel

cloudbreaker:

If it helps to quantify it, I deal with a live server running 10 instances of MT4 (i.e. 10 live broker accounts), 42 EAs across those 10 instances, and with a maximum of 7 EAs on any one instance. And the hardware this is running on is not at all special. That's one of the great joys of MT4. Another one is the ease of replication and DR.

cloudbreaker:

CB

and on the very top, the root of all evil... :-)

jjc:

If it helps to quantify it, I deal with a live server running 10 instances of MT4 (i.e. 10 live broker accounts), 42 EAs across those 10 instances [...]

To pre-empt any more PMs along the lines of the ones I've had overnight as a result of this post: servers like this one are not trading my personal money. I do not know the secret of making money in forex. And I do not know anyone who "made their money" through trading. I only know people who already had a substantial pot of cash they are prepared to lose, and who are using forex trading in the hope of better returns than they can get on traditional investments. But not vastly better returns.

Reason: