Debugger! Donde Esta? - page 2

Forexfoxy wrote >>

...I believe take the strain of this forum where people ask questions that could be solved by a debugging program.

I will second that!

I still think MT does a great job of linking the graphical objects with compiled code

> Placing an order is a bit like adding a row to a table in Oracle - but only if Oracle were allowed to say "I've arbitrarily changed the check constraint on this table, and I'm deciding not to allow your insertion".

Thats a great analogy :D

-BB-

hkjonus wrote >>
I sure hope MT5 has a Debugger in it. This is the most miserable programming environment I've ever worked with.

i can't agree with you more. it is a huge time consumption on debuging on MT4.the basic function should be like, stop on selected points (for example, click stop button while watching chart or set stop point like opening or closing a trade.) and then you can see all the variables' value of that moment drag the mouse over them. this way is very common in most VBA developing environment.

using print or alert function is terrible sometime. once, i found the log was too big to be opened by notepad, that is because my ea do printing for each tick, another case, when i put print() just after variable declaration in the start() function, it only do printing message and never went to next code line.

i hope MT5 or MT6 is coming with the debugger.

Forexfoxy:

I agree, it is very hard to make a proper program without a debugger. One that let makes "steps through" the prosess where one can trace the used variables etc. This platform is really very good, but it lacks some things and a good debugger is one of them. It would also, I believe take the strain of this forum where people ask questions that could be solved by a debugging program.

Yeh, I agree. Also a lot of genuiasses in this forum that can't answer simple questions but are full of strong opinions. All I asked was for a debugger. And YES there are many Debuggers out there for JAVA.

jjc:

That might be the issue right there. MQL has a lot in common with Javascript (more than it has in common with C/C++, as far as I'm concerned). There are quite possibly billions of lines of Javascript code in existence, and the vast majority of those were written - and continue to be written - with even fewer debugging aids than MQL.

I'm not for a second saying that there shouldn't be an MQL debugger, or that any MQL developer would decline it. But I wouldn't personally say it's essential, or a show-stopper ...

... for precisely that reason.

... and that one. NinjaTrader may well be one of the examples you have in mind. The combination of C# and the Ninja event-model beats MQL hands down. But the platform is horribly unreliable for anything other than trivial usage.

The documentation is probably better in its native Russian. It does leave a little to be desired in its English translation.

But many of the issues both with the platform and the documentation, including MODE_STOPLEVEL which you mention, are about the environment rather than the language. The documentation could give more pointers, but ultimately there are many things which are under the control of the brokers, not Metaquotes. A debugger doesn't help much here when diagnosing these kinds of problems/variables, because you're inspecting a transitory, volatile, and opaque state of an external system (the broker).

Unless your experience with C, COBOL, VB, Pascal, and Oracle has been unusual by the standards of the software industry, then the whole area of MetaTrader/MQL/brokers poses some exceptional issues which aren't readily comparable to other environments. You're dealing with hugely variable and not entirely trustworthy set of inputs in the form of prices and order confirmations, and you're communicating with a remote device (the broker) whose behaviour can be alarmingly contrary. Placing an order is a bit like adding a row to a table in Oracle - but only if Oracle were allowed to say "I've arbitrarily changed the check constraint on this table, and I'm deciding not to allow your insertion".

If you're really generating the number of (potentially) worthwhile new trading ideas which seem to be implied by these figures, then it probably makes more sense for you to concentrate on the ideas, and outsource the coding. You won't be short of offers for the latter on this forum...

The question about MODE_STOPLEVEL has nothing to do with my comments on MQLs lack of a debugger. Your rant for all its 500+ words didnt even answer my question on that topic. MQL poses no new paradigm or conceptual programming issues. The only issue is understanding the nature of its built in data structures, their source, dynamic and usage. This is where the Documentation is surely lacking. The Suggestion that I "outsource" my ideas is just ridiculous. Your arrogance is overwhelming, while your ability to provide usefull information non-exitent. Please don't bother replying to my posts in the future.

hkjonus:

The Suggestion that I "outsource" my ideas is just ridiculous. Your arrogance is overwhelming, while your ability to provide usefull information non-exitent. Please don't bother replying to my posts in the future.

My suggestion that you outsource the coding of your ideas was a compliment. It's what all serious, institutional system designers do. The ability to write code in any environment such as MQL, Tradestation etc is a trivial commodity compared to the ability to originate useful new trading ideas. Personally, I make a tidy little income implementing the occasional system on behalf of other people. But they're the ones who make the serious money, because they have the worthwhile ideas and I don't. They are many more people like me than there are people like them.

hkjonus wrote >>

The question about MODE_STOPLEVEL has nothing to do with my comments on MQLs lack of a debugger

No, but it's pertinent because it's yet another complaint which you've dumped onto this forum. I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by registering on a long-standing forum in order to say "isn't all this stuff rubbish?". I'm particularly not sure what you hope to achieve if you don't want people replying to your posts unless they agree with you.

Forexfoxy wrote >>

I agree, it is very hard to make a proper program without a debugger. One that let makes "steps through" the prosess where one can trace the used variables etc. This platform is really very good, but it lacks some things and a good debugger is one of them. It would also, I believe take the strain of this forum where people ask questions that could be solved by a debugging program.

Dear Friends, G'day

I don't whether this is right thread to post.. Sorry, if it is wrong thread.

Can anyone help me here? I want one simple Indicator where that indicator is 2 horizontal lines trails every minute with reference to low & high of the same day. I use this one as a reversal lines. Is there anything like?

Keep Charging

Be Awesome,
Raj,
DreamJOBZ.com

jjc:

My suggestion that you outsource the coding of your ideas was a compliment. It's what all serious, institutional system designers do. The ability to write code in any environment such as MQL, Tradestation etc is a trivial commodity compared to the ability to originate useful new trading ideas. Personally, I make a tidy little income implementing the occasional system on behalf of other people. But they're the ones who make the serious money, because they have the worthwhile ideas and I don't. They are many more people like me than there are people like them.

No, but it's pertinent because it's yet another complaint which you've dumped onto this forum. I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by registering on a long-standing forum in order to say "isn't all this stuff rubbish?". I'm particularly not sure what you hope to achieve if you don't want people replying to your posts unless they agree with you.

Suggestion for you my friend. If you don't have a solution or can't guide someone towards it in some way, then simply DONT reply to the post. It's quite clear that MQL is in need of a Debugger and more thorough Documentation. I don't understand your compulsion to defend its weaknesses, nor your personal inuindos about me. Because you've managed to succeed within a less than ideal environment is no reason not to seek it's improvement.

Reason: