Margin calculation

Hi,

i have some difficulties calculating margin. Lets say i have 1000$ in my account and want to know how many orders i can open with 0.1 lot size. If i understand correctly it will be different number of orders for different symbols.

Yes, margin depends usually from currency pair (symbol). See function AccountFreeMarginCheck().

marginRequired = Lots * MarketInfo(Symbol(), MODE_MARGINREQUIRED);

Rosh wrote >>
Yes, margin depends usually from currency pair (symbol). See function AccountFreeMarginCheck().

sorry for my english.

as i understand, this function gives me what free margin will be after order sent and then if i subtract it from real free margin value, i get the amount of money i need to send that order?

i found this explanation somewhere on the internet:

You want to buy 100,000 Euros with a current price of 1.35 USD, and your broker requires a 1% margin.

Required Margin = 100,000 x 1.35 x 0.01 = $1,350.00 USD.

but it makes no sence to me, i am not getting something right about that margin thing. so if my mt4 says i have Free margin: 100, how could i calculate how many orders (size of 0.01) i can take?

phy wrote >>
marginRequired = Lots * MarketInfo(Symbol(), MODE_MARGINREQUIRED);

i tried that on eurchf

it says: 14.62

so that amount of money will be freezed in case of the order? so if i have total of 146$ balance then i can execute 9 x 0.01 (lots) orders? but if it goes in a loss?

One should divide FreeMargin by (Lots * MarketInfo(Symbol(), MODE_MARGINREQUIRED)) as phy says.

Rosh wrote >>
One should divide FreeMargin by (Lots * MarketInfo(Symbol(), MODE_MARGINREQUIRED)) as phy says.

i think i got what i need. thanks a lot.

Reason: