Strategy Testing for Dummies

Hi everyone. I just joined today, and I have a very specific purpose for signing up. I need help with the strategy tester.

I'm trying to back test an Expert Adviser my brother created. I'm running InterBank FX 4 running the base STRATEGY TESTER with all the defaults. It keeps hanging up shortly after collecting M1 data. I have gone through the HELP topics for the Strategy tester module. I have gone through the previous posts on this site relating to this topic. I'm starting to feel pretty stupid, which is nothing new for me, but still pretty frustrating. Near as I can tell, the META EDITOR program and the STRATEGY TESTER are two of the most non-intuitive and borderline useless pieces of software ever written. Nothing I have found has helped, so I turn to the public.

Please help. I have seen peoples responses to similar problems, but they haven't helped me at all. I'm afraid I'm not familiar at all with the software, and I'm not a programmer, so cryptic, non-specific replies really won't help me. I'm probably going to need a step by step on this.

The specific problem as it appears in the JOURNAL tab sfter stopping the test....

2008.08.09 14:01:33 TestGenerator: unmatched data error (volume limit 136 at 2008.07.28 05:45 exceeded)

Anyone?

Ok, another approach. Is there any other software out there that can test these .mq4 files?

This shouldn't be this hard....

Delete all .hst files, download 1M and use period converter script.