MACD SAmple on metatrader

Hi, can anyone tell me how MACD Sample works on the metatrader platform? What are the results like, good bad? and what kind of currency charts can they be used on?

brandond:
Hi, can anyone tell me how MACD Sample works on the metatrader platform? What are the results like, good bad? and what kind of currency charts can they be used on?

You can use it on any chart. The MACD Sample is *bad*. It is a very good example of the flaws in MACD. Too slow, unreliable, past history no indicator of future performance, etc. If you are enamored of MACD I have a faster exponential MACD, but I don't believe it is necessarily better. MUCH more complicated code and faster to respond to the market, but I just see it as a replacement to the existing MACD and not a strategy in and of itself.

MACD Sample over the long term loses money at a rate of Spread * Trades. In other words, it is just the same as flipping a coin. I prefer EA that don't use any indicators and work in most markets. Categorically, grids are an example of this but they have their own issues. (Dangling trades, news shocks, long term trends, etc.) There is no easy answer, tens of thousands of people hunt for profitable EAs. They exist, but they tend to be distributed *less* if they work well. Don't believe the results you see on Ebay, some are forged and most are horrible. Also, backtester is a good hint at personality of an EA but a poor hint at performance - especially where Bar 0 and trailing stop are concerned.

Ian Smith

Private replies to d a r ak n o r at g m @ i l . c0m

B

I'll second all that from daraknor
The MACD Sample produces wonderful results on EURUSD H1 run on MetaTrader sample data but will lose money on live data feeds.

Its a starting point - nothing more.

Successful indicator based EA's will use at least 3 indicators for signal & data from other time-frames to support the decision &/or control lot sizing...

As daraknor says - the more I do in this, the less I like indicator-based EA's, even when they get into a good trade, live data spikes can flip them out half way through :(

I will continue with them but only in parallel with support & resistance calculating EA's

FWIW

-BB-

Reason: