strategy tester input help

I want to test a basic EA and I can not understand what is on the INPUTS, >>    VARIABLE, VALUE, STEP, STOP . And what I have to put.

I understand that value is the input  that I want to put.

Start, step, and stop I don't know

The "HELP" explanation I don't understand it.

Any help will be very appreciate it. 

Which EA ? Why don't ask to the ea maker ?

relaxtrading:

I want to test a basic EA and I can not understand what is on the INPUTS, >>    VARIABLE, VALUE, STEP, STOP . And what I have to put.

I understand that value is the input  that I want to put.

Start, step, and stop I don't know

The "HELP" explanation I don't understand it.

Any help will be very appreciate it. 

Say you have an integer input to the EA called  MAperiod  = 16 and it is used in the EA to set the period value for a Moving Average indicator.

The MA period will be 16 unless you change it.

If you want to optimise the period then you can select it in the optimiser and specify  Start = 4   Step = 1   Stop =20

this will then test the EA 17 times with that parameter set as:  4, 5, 6, 7, etc up to 20.

if you set the step as 2  then it would do  4, 6, 8, etc up to 20 

this is a screenshot. I just want to understand it.
Files:
10.JPG  257 kb

thanks max,

What I have to put if I don't want to optimizer, just the basic input

relaxtrading:

thanks max,

What I have to put if I don't want to optimizer, just the basic input

If you are not looking to optimise then you just put whatever values you want to run it with in the Value column ignore  start/step/stop

what each of those settings do is another matter and only the EA author will have the knowledge 

MaxTrader:
If you are not looking to optimise then you just put whatever values you want to run it with in the Value column ignore  start/step/stop
so it doesn't matter if I leave blank those columns ?. I am only interested in "value"

relaxtrading:
so it doesn't matter if I leave blank those columns ?. I am only interested in "value"
correct they only work if you are optimising AND you have selected that data item

many thanks Max

to install Ea, you should read guide book
Reason: