External signal provider integration

Hi,
an EA is only invoked whenever a new tick comes in. I would like to know if there is a way to invoke the EA from an external application. Whenever this external application receives a signal it should somehow forward this buy or sell signal to the EA.
The only way I can think of doing that is by writing an EA that is in an infinite loop using Sleep and checks the contents of a small flat file for the signal. For that I would modify the external application to write the signal to a flat file.
I don't like the idea of flat file based integration. Is there a better way for me to invoke the EA from an external application to exectue a trade? I am open to all suggestions, but it has to be fast, because this is a news report signal.
Thanks, Thomas

I would be interested in an answer as well, because I am using the same method (infinite loop script with 2 runs/sec and file checking) and sometimes it is easy to get file errors...

Use a dll's.

Rosh,
I know how to call a DLL from EA in MetaTrader. That would again require a loop. In case you are indicating that a DLL could invoke the EA. Please let us know.
Reason: