Hardware Server Setup

Hi,

I am in the process of building a dedicated server to run MT Client Terminal. Specifically, I was wondering if each expert when added to a chart runs as seperate thread within one MT4 Client executable? I would assume that the MT 4 Client terminal is written using C++. The reason I ask is that I want to know if there will be any performace gains if I purchace a AMD X2 dual core processor as opposed to a AMD Athlon 64 single core posocessor. Obviously I would use a the dual core if i had 2 instances of MT4 Client Terminal, but What if I only had one with say 6 experts running? Maybe it is better to seperate the experts, running 3 on each each MT Client instance?

What would you recommend? How much memory would you need? 1Gb

Thanks in advance,

Luke Sullivan

Accroding to mql documentation each expert runs in its own thread.
I ran 4 experts at once and didn't see any problem whatsever.

Inciodentally I recently purchused dual core processor with 512M memory.
I got it not to get experts to run better, but just it's a latest technology and in 6 months it will become absolete.
So if you get not the latest it will be ancient history in 6 months. I will advise get 1Gig of memory if you plan to run extensive
backtests. I saw mt eating up memory quickly when running backtests.

I would like to add that there are servers that are resonably priced that have dual disks, running a raid1 installation might keep you from grief and losing your precious ea... I have found that even with backing up daily, there were times I lost data that was made that day before the backup occurred. AND it is usually the data that you wrote while "inspired" and cannot duplicate without a lot of work.
I also have a mirror program that even writes the data from the raid disks to another computer on the network.. and some nights I still worry..

I use something called Autosave from v-com (www.v-com.com) it's the same people who created system commander.
It saves files automatically when they are changed in selected directories. This way as soon as you save a file it is backed up at once without any intervention. Just don't forget initially to make it backup all the files you want once. After that it just backups all the files you change.
My computer actually crashed and I had to buy a new one, so just restored the data. I bought a external disk for backup purposes.
It's not fast but serves the purpose since backup happens in the background. Plus you can plug it into any computer via USB.
Reason: