Programming in Metatrader 5 Newbies

Hi all,

I have been doing trading for a while and I am pretty sure I got a good technique. I used to trade with another platform. With no robots capabality.

Recently I discovered MT5 and I am interested to make a robot which can apply my knowledge.

Therefore, I have a clear idea how to trade, but no idea about MT5 programming. I would like to know if there is any way to learn programming quickly. I have seen all the MT5 material here, but it looks it would take months. How long do you think it coult take?

Anyone who faced the same problem? Learning material used? 

Many thanks in advance.

Jordi 

Hi. I have the same problem. I found some resources on the internet, but none for complete novices, who have no prior experience in programming. After some time trying to learn via examples I decided to hire a coder, because it saves me time (and time is really valuable to me). I have no idea how to start learning to programme. I even considered placing a new Job offer for someone to instruct me on the basics. What do you think. Is this something you would consider (for cost sharing).

Here is one of articles for learning MQL5 : https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/496
A Quick Start Or a Short Guide for Beginners
A Quick Start Or a Short Guide for Beginners
  • Dmitriy Parfenovich
  • www.mql5.com
Hello dear reader! In this article, I will try to explain and show you how you can easily and quickly get the hang of the principles of creating Expert Advisors, working with indicators, etc. It is beginner-oriented and will not feature any difficult or abstruse examples.

jordiqqq:

Hi all,

I have been doing trading for a while and I am pretty sure I got a good technique. I used to trade with another platform. With no robots capabality.

Recently I discovered MT5 and I am interested to make a robot which can apply my knowledge.

Therefore, I have a clear idea how to trade, but no idea about MT5 programming. I would like to know if there is any way to learn programming quickly. I have seen all the MT5 material here, but it looks it would take months. How long do you think it coult take?

Many thanks in advance.

Jordi 

Hi jordiqqq,

same problem here.

But you know ... I remember when I tried to lean mql4 programming language after MT3/MT4 "migration" ... it took for at least half a year for me. And I am still newbie in coding ...
yes, it may be good to have some thread on the forum about "study mql5 language" so we all can follow it by every post for example. 

achidayat:
Here is one of articles for learning MQL5 : https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/496

Yes, that's right.
But I am talking about the people who was learning mql4 by themselves, and they want to be turned to mql5 for now.

jordiqqq:

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Jordi 

Hello there!,

I don't want to discourage you, but my opinion is pretty similar to that of this article http://norvig.com/21-days.html The problem you pose is something like wanting to learn chinese in two weeks.

By the way, it is also true that there is no dummies manual for learning MQL5! If you have no previous programming experience you should be patient and work hard to get to the extent to be able to program your trading strategies.

Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years
  • norvig.com
Walk into any bookstore, and you'll see how to Teach Yourself Java in 7 Days alongside endless variations offering to teach Visual Basic, Windows, the Internet, and so on in a few days or hours. I did the following power search at Amazon.com: and got back 248 hits. The first 78 were computer books (number 79 was Learn Bengali in 30 days). I...

newdigital:

Hi jordiqqq,

same problem here.

But you know ... I remember when I tried to lean mql4 programming language after MT3/MT4 "migration" ... it took for at least half a year for me. And I am still newbie in coding ...
yes, it may be good to have some thread on the forum about "study mql5 language" so we all can follow it by every post for example. 

It sounds a great idea to me!

I thought to take the idea and take it further.

I was thinking to write to mql5 and ask them to make a section in this forum where we can share our doubts, and let us advance together. I am sure most of my doubts are shared with much other people. And I could learn from other doubts. And with our problems we can make much easier for the guys coming behind....

I am thinking to write them an email and ask them about it...

Thanks for your comment! It is great!

I started to look at MT5 last week and I did one indicator, a simple and useless one, but just for the sake of doing one... But it is all based on patchwork, taking info from one article and other... with several dark point i don-t understand.

As said, many thanks, 

mbering:
Hi. I have the same problem. I found some resources on the internet, but none for complete novices, who have no prior experience in programming. After some time trying to learn via examples I decided to hire a coder, because it saves me time (and time is really valuable to me). I have no idea how to start learning to programme. I even considered placing a new Job offer for someone to instruct me on the basics. What do you think. Is this something you would consider (for cost sharing).

Hi there,

I am not really interested in paying for classes. The question I did was more looking for if I was missing some material to learn. It looks to me there is no material to learn from scratch.... However, I am happy to share with you my progress and it could be a good idea to get a few of us, interested to learn the basics and to get a bit further from the basics in order to make at least a non/losing EA....

If you read previous answer of mine, to newdigital.... it looks to me it is the path to go... I got time to learn and I don-t bother to spend time. But I need some monitoring in my doubts and so on....

I did an Indicator, I just started to look at MT5 last week, but it is really a patchwork, I look several indicators, and try to join them,.... but it is a crazy idea to take in very far, as when I get an error, I can-t understand why....

Anyway, it is just a bit what it is my progress, but so far so good....

laplacianlab:

Hello there!,

I don't want to discourage you, but my opinion is pretty similar to that of this article http://norvig.com/21-days.html The problem you pose is something like wanting to learn chinese in two weeks.

By the way, it is also true that there is no dummies manual for learning MQL5! If you have no previous programming experience you should be patient and work hard to get to the extent to be able to program your trading strategies.

I liked the article, and I know there is no shortcut. Hard work, and time.... I am happy to spend it, but I am missing the manual for dummies.... Anyway, I don-t know when I would get the manage MT5 but hope I don-t discourage...

jordiqqq:

It sounds a great idea to me!

I thought to take the idea and take it further.

I was thinking to write to mql5 and ask them to make a section in this forum where we can share our doubts, and let us advance together. I am sure most of my doubts are shared with much other people. And I could learn from other doubts. And with our problems we can make much easier for the guys coming behind....

I am thinking to write them an email and ask them about it...

Thanks for your comment! It is great!

I started to look at MT5 last week and I did one indicator, a simple and useless one, but just for the sake of doing one... But it is all based on patchwork, taking info from one article and other... with several dark point i don-t understand.

As said, many thanks, 

Done! sent email to the guys in MT5

There is a book out there called Expert Advisor Programming by Andrew Young. Although it isn't great, it is decent if you're a beginner. I've spotted one or two errors in the book (constants for order types are wrong for instance) but most of it is good enough. It gives you an idea what you need and you can then find all the details in the online documentation.

The downside is that it is written for MT4. But if you're a real beginner then I think first learning MT4 and then "upgrading" to MT5 is the faster route. Or do any of the MT5 programmers disagree?

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Order Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Order Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Order Properties - Documentation on MQL5
Reason: