MT4 Performance issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MT4 -- installed it and noticed considerable (unexpected) lag when interacting with the application.   When connected to a live trading account, I'm noticing CPU utilization hovering around 30% and 1.2 - 1.5GB RAM.   Simple interaction, such as clicking on the file menu, or options is taking 5-15s.   I have MT4 installed running on a fairly beefy server (4x E5-2600-series CPUs cores), 8GB RAM, decent internet connection, etc..   There are no resource contention issues.  The rest of the machine runs fine, it's just MT4 that's slow to respond.  

I understand Mt4 maintains quite a bit of data points in memory, is there a way to optimize the platform?   Enable it to address more RAM?   I also noticed that MT4 is a 32-bit app..  My Windows Server is 64-bit -- is there a 64-bit version of the code?

Perhaps the slowness is related to specific indicators.   It would be extremely helpful to understand a troubleshooting approach where one can evaluate base performance vs. performance with indicators loaded.    It it typical to tune indicators? 

Thanks. 

Definitely sounds like an indicator/EA is gobbling resources. Process of elimination to find out which one it is.....

can someone tell how much RAM is needed for one MT4 platform?

Tobias Grosse:
can someone tell how much RAM is needed for one MT4 platform?

I think MT4 need least 2G RAM, best is 4G.

Reason: