Strategy Tester Issues

Hi There,

I am new to Metatrader (using MT5). Trying to get my brain around how it all works. I have been trying to test out the functionality of the Strategy Tester. I created a very simple expert advisor and wanted to test the input parameters. The problem is there is no Optimaisation drop down on the settings tab and when I run it, it does not run through all of the settings on the Input tab - just runs the default scenario (I think). Am I missing something here? This optimaisation feature was there the other day and I ran it with some other expert advisors.

The other thing that I am have a bit of trouble with is working out what expert advisor has triggered a trade and what the settings were at the time. I have 3 different advisors running on 3 AUDUSD charts. Lots of trades are being generated, but I cant seem to work out why they have come about. Is there some additional information stored somewhere that can give me that information.

Having the trade entry and exit on a chart would be very useful as well - I have seen it on some charts but not others - is that a standard feature or something that must be coded?

Thank you in advanmce for any help with this.

Ben 

Introduction to MQL5: How to write simple Expert Advisor and Custom Indicator
  • Denis Zyatkevich
  • www.mql5.com
MetaQuotes Programming Language 5 (MQL5), included in MetaTrader 5 Client Terminal, has many new possibilities and higher performance, compared to MQL4. This article will help you to get acquainted with this new programming language. The simple examples of how to write an Expert Advisor and Custom Indicator are presented in this article. We will also consider some details of MQL5 language, that are necessary to understand these examples.

For your first issue, increase the height of your Strategy Tester window, then Optimization menu will appear.

For your second issue, you can check Journal tab.

For your third issue, the Strategy Tester shows the entry and exit positions after the test is done. IIRC, you can also modify EAs to show entry and exit positions for their trades.

Hi Andrei,

Ahhh - thank you on all 3 points. Much appreciated.

Ben 

Reason: