Discussion of article "Custom Indicators in MQL5 for Newbies"

New article Custom Indicators in MQL5 for Newbies is published:

Any new subject seems complicated and hard-to-learn for a newbie. Subjects that we know seem very simple and clear to us. But we simply do not remember, that everyone has to study something from scratch, and even our native language. The same is with the MQL5 programming language that offers wide possibilities of developing one's own trading strategies - you can start learning it from basic notions and simplest examples. Interaction of a technical indicator with the MetaTrader 5 client terminal is consider in this article on the example of the simple custom indicator SMA.

Author: Nikolay Kositsin

Very interesting article for those who start..... I hope that others as this.... thanks

thank you. very clear explanation for newbie like me. waiting for next article ...

Thank you.It is very clear and useful for beginners.

if(prev_calculated==0) // check for the first start of the indicator
      first=MAPeriod-1+begin; // start index for all the bars
   else first=prev_calculated-1; // start index for the new bars

when  first=MAPeriod-1+begin;     which is current bar ?  [0] or [rates_total] ?

when  first=prev_calculated-1;   it is a large number, need repeat calculate ? 

In the article " Custom Indicators in MQL5 for Newbies" it is said, "It's better to use the increasing order [rather than "reverse order"] in indicators." But if the program runs on and on, it would eventually tend toward infinity, i.e. the (integer) buffer for the index numbers would soon run over, wouldn't it? How do you handle this?
Custom Indicators in MQL5 for Newbies
  • Nikolay Kositsin
  • www.mql5.com
Any new subject seems complicated and hard-to-learn for a newbie. Subjects that we know seem very simple and clear to us. But we simply do not remember, that everyone has to study something from scratch, and even our native language. The same is with the MQL5 programming language that offers wide possibilities of developing one's own trading strategies - you can start learning it from basic notions and simplest examples. Interaction of a technical indicator with the MetaTrader 5 client terminal is consider in this article on the example of the simple custom indicator SMA.

We need more tutorials like this one!!!

Nikolay, thank you. It's a great tutorial!
But I think that variable

const int begin

will always be zero valued, in the code. Is it significant for calculation?

igorsds:

Nikolay, thank you. It's a great tutorial!
But I think that variable

will always be zero valued, in the code. Is it significant for calculation?

The value of "begin" will be different depending on what indicator applied to. If you apply to RSI, "begin" will be 14, for example.

If you try to compile for the first time, you may get buffer error. So please change the amount of buffers:

#property indicator_buffers 2

Later on, you can switch back to 1 (one) buffer:

#property indicator_buffers 1

How do i combine with fibo zigzag
Reason: