MetaEditor Problem

I'm using vista and MT4 build 224.

i can't copy text in MT Editor, whenever i execute copy some text, Editor crashing.

i'v two PCs running vista. Both's problem.

ianchoi :

i can't copy text in MT Editor, whenever i execute copy some text, Editor crashing.

I fixed this problem as follows:

In Program Files right click on your MetaTrader folder and select Properties, then Security, then Advanced. You will see that you only have "Read & Execute" permission. I changed this to "Full Control". I also had the problem that I could not even save changes within MetaEditor before I made this change.

Note that I changed permission on the "Users" group. This had me puzzled as to why this should have worked because I was logged on as an Administrator. So out of curiosity I re-installed MetaTrader and went through these steps again and this time the problem was NOT fixed. However I was able to save my changes this time. So I have no idea what is going on or how to fix this problem after all.

I found a workaround is to launch Metaeditor by locating an .mq4 file with Windows Explorer and double-clicking on it. If I launch Metaeditor from within MetaTrader or from the Start/All Programs/ I cannot use Copy(CTRL+C). Can anyone figure this out?

HillDerek :
ianchoi :

I fixed this problem as follows:

In Program Files right click on your MetaTrader folder and select Properties, then Security, then Advanced. You will see that you only have "Read & Execute" permission. I changed this to "Full Control". I also had the problem that I could not even save changes within MetaEditor before I made this change.

Note that I changed permission on the "Users" group. This had me puzzled as to why this should have worked because I was logged on as an Administrator. So out of curiosity I re-installed MetaTrader and went through these steps again and this time the problem was NOT fixed. However I was able to save my changes this time. So I have no idea what is going on or how to fix this problem after all.

I found a workaround is to launch Metaeditor by locating an .mq4 file with Windows Explorer and double-clicking on it. If I launch Metaeditor from within MetaTrader or from the Start/All Programs/ I cannot use Copy(CTRL+C). Can anyone figure this out?

2009.11.20 I have discovered that the workaround above does not work consistently. I am now on MT4 Build 225. I tried on Windows7 64-bit Ultimate and get exact same problems. At first everything worked OK on Windows 7 but it did not last. Even when running with compatibility set to XP SP2 or 3.

I can run MetaTrader in a Virtual-PC environment using XP-mode. This is basically running the XP 32-bit operating system in a window on Windows 7. Not an ideal solution because you have to maintain the Virtual-PC as if it was a real machine, e.g. install antivirus, set correct timezone,etc. Of course uses a chunk of memory too. It defaults to 500MB but I set mine to 1GB as I have plenty.

good info thanks

good info dear
Reason: