enabling email alerts with yahoo and gmail

I know this has been posted here before but there doesn't seem to have been a resolution for us newby's
I've used email alerts from behind a proxy server from work with no problems. When I try and use yahoo or gmail from home it doesnt work, even though I've triple checked the options fields (obviously they are different to enabling from behind a proxy server) I'm led to believe they require SSL/TLS. Does anyone know if MT4 can be set up to work with these email accounts, if not, which accounts definatly work cos this is driving me mad.

thanks
Timebandit

I have been having the same issues, but I found a cheap and easy soloution!! Please understand, I am not getting paid anything for this, but the cost is $24 per YEAR, and you can have your broker send up to 1000 emails per month using this company's smtp server. Try them out: www.authsmtp.com I highly recommend it and it works awesome and is soooo easy to setup! I wish I had tried this before spending hours trying to setup email using a bunch of different settings. Be sure to restart your mt4 platform between setting changes, helped for me. You can use pretty much any webmail account like yahoo, gmail, and hotmail!! Woohoo! Finally!

Timebandit :
I know this has been posted here before but there doesn't seem to have been a resolution for us newby's
I've used email alerts from behind a proxy server from work with no problems. When I try and use yahoo or gmail from home it doesnt work, even though I've triple checked the options fields (obviously they are different to enabling from behind a proxy server) I'm led to believe they require SSL/TLS. Does anyone know if MT4 can be set up to work with these email accounts, if not, which accounts definatly work cos this is driving me mad.

thanks
Timebandit

MT4 supports both authenticated and unauthenticated SMTP, but does not support SSL. 

I use Yahoo! with MT4 with no problems. 

Timebandit :

thanks
Timebandit

Yes I have done it. But installing a SMTP server in my desktop (Ubuntu linux) and accepting mail from my MetaTrader. My local SMTP server do not use SSL or TSL like gmail or hotmail and it later deliver the message to the final destination, gmail servers.

By any chance, did you enable POP mail access in your Gmail account? Once you do, it gives you smtp info as if you were going to use Gmail in a third party software like Outlook or Thunderbird. With this smtp info, you can enter that into the MetaTrader email alert settings.
Reason: