Offline MetaEditor MQL5 Compiler on Ubuntu via Wine

Hello MQL5 Community,

I am developing an offline MQL5 software testing environment on an Ubuntu VPS using Wine.

I need to compile existing .mq5 source files without connecting to a broker or starting the MetaTrader 5 trading terminal.

I have a few technical questions:

  1. Is there an official, complete offline MetaEditor/MQL5 compiler package available from MetaQuotes?
  2. Can MetaEditor compile .mq5 files through Wine without launching the MetaTrader 5 terminal?
  3. Is there an official installation method that supports offline compilation after installation?
  4. How can I verify the authenticity and publisher signature of the required installer files?
  5. Are there any special Wine dependencies or limitations for command-line compilation on Ubuntu?

I have already checked the official MetaEditor documentation. However, the standard MetaTrader 5 installer appears to require downloading additional components.

I only need to compile and validate MQL5 source code in an isolated environment. No broker connection or trading activity is required.

Any official documentation or technical guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You can compile directly with MetaEditor; no broker connection or running terminal is required. From its installation directory:

wine ./metaeditor64.exe /compile:"C:\path\test.mq5" /log

Adjust the source path to your Wine environment and check the generated log for errors. See the documented command-line options.

I’m not aware of an official standalone offline compiler installer. The practical approach is to complete installation online, then use that environment offline with all required includes and resources available locally.

For Ubuntu, follow the official Wine installation guide. A headless VPS may need Xvfb, depending on the setup. Download from the official site and verify the installer’s Authenticode signature on Windows before transferring it.

Integration with other IDEs - Welcome to algorithmic trading - MetaEditor Help
Integration with other IDEs - Welcome to algorithmic trading - MetaEditor Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
MetaEditor allows you to write code not only in MQL4 and MQL5. You can also edit and compile the C++ and Python source code. In addition, you can...