Very Very Slow backtest speed but CPU only use 11%

 


Why the version of MT5 backtest speed such slow, I pend it over night(~8 Hours), only 1 pass finished


 but I have brought a new cpu, the usage of CPU keep only 11%

 
LEE Chun Wing:

Why the version of MT5 backtest speed such slow, I pend it over night(~8 Hours), only 1 pass finished but I have brought a new cpu, the usage of CPU keep only 11%

10,496 passes is quite a high number.

I have to guess that you're testing on real ticks for a lengthy timespan, and CPU load was not the only factor. My pc has a heat sensor (enabled in BIOS) that white screens itself for protection if it gets too hot. The screen comes back up with processes killed after a few minutes. If I were to walk away for a bit, and then return to a live screen and killed processes, I wouldn't see what had happened so...

What was your memory usage?

Full spec's would be helpful.

 
CPU is not the first reason if you backtest/optimize a badly coded EA.

How much time does the same EA need to be backtested into the same period of the optimization? Are you using real ticks?
 
Fabio Cavalloni #:
CPU is not the first reason if you backtest/optimize a badly coded EA.

How much time does the same EA need to be backtested into the same period of the optimization? Are you using real ticks?

yes, I use real tick


EA use trailing stop need run on every tick

 
Ryan L Johnson #:

10496次传球是一个相当高的数字。

我猜你是在实际运行的时钟周期上进行了长时间的测试,而且CPU负载并非唯一因素。我的电脑有一个温度传感器(在BIOS中启用),如果过热,屏幕会自动变成白色以保护系统。几分钟后屏幕会恢复正常,但进程会被终止。如果我离开一会儿,回来后屏幕又恢复正常,但进程却被终止了,我就无法看到发生了什么……

你的内存使用量是多少?

完整的规格参数会很有帮助。

 as showed
 

how to increase backtest speed then?


backtest speed is slower than MT4

 
LEE Chun Wing #:

[Y]es, I use real tick[s.]

[The] EA use[s a] trailing stop[.] [I] need run [it] on every tick[.]

Ah ha! If your trailing stop code is executing on every tick, that is burdensome on the Tester.

if that is the case, you might want to replace it with a stepped trailing stop.

 
LEE Chun Wing:


Why the version of MT5 backtest speed such slow, I pend it over night(~8 Hours), only 1 pass finished


 but I have brought a new cpu, the usage of CPU keep only 11%

Restart MT5.

Then run a BACKTEST, for 1 day, using real ticks.

And attach the Strategy Tester log file here. The FILE, not a screenshot, not an excerpt, not anything else than the file itself. 

I will say you what the problem is.

 
Alain Verleyen #:

重启MT5。

然后使用真实交易数据进行为期一天的回测。

请将策略测试器日志文件附在这里。请提供完整的文件,不要截图,不要摘录,不要其他任何内容,只需提供文件本身即可。

我会告诉你问题出在哪里。

added
Files:
20260809.log  62 kb
 
LEE Chun Wing #:
added

Then run a BACKTEST, for 1 day (or more if there is no trade in this day)

Not an optimization.

 

I had this problem in backtest some times. 

I found another post https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/463732

I try do delete default.tpl template (there is no file tester.tpl) and do not solve, after I delete cache in folder "<data folder>/Tester/Cache" the test finishes without hangs. 

Bug in strategy tester
Bug in strategy tester
  • 2024.03.08
  • www.mql5.com
User reports that MT5 freezes after selecting 'Run single test' from optimization results, despite having the latest version and sufficient memory. The issue persists across multiple versions and affects both user and example code. Logs indicate the test completes successfully, but the application becomes unresponsive, requiring termination. Workarounds like clearing cache/logs are suggested, but they are not ideal as they lead to loss of optimization data. The user is seeking a permanent fix or alternative solutions.