Advice on How to Make the Big Move - MQL 4 to MQL 5

Hi everyone:

I have been needless to say, one hardcore MQL4 fan for all these years.  And I want to be an equally good one at MQL5! I hope for some advice, directions esp. from those who have been through such learning "transition".

I have a little stint and experience programming in OOP, using Java, J2ee. So I grabbed my first MQL5 article by author Samuel: https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/116

And I am so excited.  Amidst the excitement, I become somewhat directionless, while some of the things in the article is very new and quite confusing. 

My qns are:

(1) What learning approach has been useful for you?

(2) What I needed to better know first than the other, before jumping and banging on the keyboard with the Classes like Trade.mqh?

(3) Any common pitfalls that MQL 4 people face? What I should look out for?

Thank YOU.

Writing an Expert Advisor Using the MQL5 Object-Oriented Programming Approach
  • Samuel
  • www.mql5.com
This article focuses on the object oriented approach to doing what we did in the article "Step-By-Step Guide to writing an Expert Advisor in MQL5 for Beginners" - creating a simple Expert Advisor. Most people think this is difficult, but I want to assure you that by the time you finish reading this article, you will be able to write your own Expert Advisor which is object oriented based.

Look at some MQL4 code and its converted MQL5 version. It will help you to understand the most fundamental differences.