Use 128 threads as agents for optimization on 64 core CPU - page 2

Emerson Gomes #:

If you're not using a local farm, but only on your local machine, it will be able to use 128 Threads. Under local agents, each "core" means a thread.

So just disable 2-3 cores so you can continue using your machine and you should be able to fully use your CPU.

However for local farms, there's this limitation of 1 agent per physical CPU core. Here, each core really means a core. Honestly I think this limitation is kind of pointless. Most of the times I can get close to 2x perf just by using the HT cores. So while you cannot sell computing to the cloud, if you need to rely on several local farm nodes, one workaround is to run virtualization and run 2 VMs, one pinned to physical cores, the other one to HT cores.

Great feedback, thanks you have provided further clarity.

Dear code/trade colleagues,

I had been looking for this information for a long time (how to use all threads of a "slave" computer in a local farm for optimizations) and I saw that it is possible using virtual machines (I used Oracle VM VirtualBox). It took me a while to configure everything correctly and I just came here to leave my report.

It's not worth it!

The VM performance is very low and affects the performance of other threads that are not part of the VM.

My "slave" computer has an i7 4790K (4 cores, 8 threads) with 16GB of RAM and I put half of this configuration in the VM.

Regards,

Henoch Protasio Da Silva Junior #:
Dear code/trade colleagues,

I had been looking for this information for a long time (how to use all threads of a "slave" computer in a local farm for optimizations) and I saw that it is possible using virtual machines (I used Oracle VM VirtualBox). It took me a while to configure everything correctly and I just came here to leave my report.

It's not worth it!

The VM performance is very low and affects the performance of other threads that are not part of the VM.

My "slave" computer has an i7 4790K (4 cores, 8 threads) with 16GB of RAM and I put half of this configuration in the VM.

Regards,

Why would you put a VM in between in the first place? - 4 Cores/8 Threads is directly supported, there is no need for a virtual machine to overcome software limitations....

A G:

Hello community, 

My first post here. I have a 64 core AMD Threadripper CPU workstation with 512GB of RAM. 

I'm currently using all 64 available cores for optimizing my algos, although the CPU has 128 threads.

From what I've read, agents are assigned to each thread... Does that mean that I can run 128 agents (1 thread per agent) instead of the current 64 agents (1 core per agent) that I'm using? 

How would I go about enabling this on my workstation?

Thanks.

This thread would be what your looking for.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/426809

dual cpu 64 core - I recently bought a motherboard that manages two 64 core and 128 trade processors, what should I do to use 100% of the resources?
dual cpu 64 core - I recently bought a motherboard that manages two 64 core and 128 trade processors, what should I do to use 100% of the resources?
  • www.mql5.com
Hi, i recently bought a motherboard that manages two 64 core and 128 trade cpus each, unfortunately on mt5 i can only see 50% of the agents, what should i do to be able to use 100% of the resources. The processors are as follows: amd epyc 7h12 64-core processor 2
Reason: