Importing and converting data

Hi

I would like to import historic data and then convert it to 5min, 15min etc. so i can do good quality backtesting.
As it was recommended in an article i read.
I donwloaded the 1min data from alpari and then tried to run the period_converter script in MT4.
But unfortunately the only thing that happens is that my CPU is used 99% but there is no visible result. This goes on for half an hour or longer and nothing happens.

How can i convert data or get a full set of data so i can do backtesting?

Thank you

Eric,

The period_converter continues to use up CPU resources even after it has finished the conversion. To verify that the conversion finished, go to the MT4 program folder, then open the history folder, then any appropriate subfolder and check date/time modified for the "time frame".hst under question to see if it updated. If it updated properly, stop the period_converter script by restarting period_converter and then choosing the option to stop the current run.

In newer versions of MT4, with the backtester in "every tick" model, the "help" instructions imply that the period_converter script is no longer necessary. But, I do notice that each time I reopen MT4, that M1 history should be reimported again from my local history file.

Dean

Hi Dean
Thanks. In the meantime i found out how to do it.
I have the same problem that history files must be reimported. It seems that MT4 can't handle as much memory, if you got data for a number of currency pairs.
The error messages can be seen in the Journal tab.
Eric
Reason: