"Event handling function not found". You could lose your code if you don't have a backup!

Warning to anyone. If you encounter the error "event handling function not found", it could be because your hard drive is full.

Even after freeing 10GB of space, I was still getting the same error when trying to compile my indicator.

So I restarted MetaEditor and now the source file is completely blank and the ex4 doesn't work.

dc3463456: it could be because your hard drive is full

No, this error can only be caused by missing event handling functions in the source code and nothing else.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

"iCustom" Alternative

Vladislav Boyko, 2023.04.29 20:10

Most likely, the application type (EA, indicator, or script) is determined depending on the event handling functions used in it:

https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/basis/function/events

Some quotes from the link above:
  • The OnStart() function is the Start event handler, which is automatically generated only for running scripts.
  • OnTick(). The NewTick event is generated for Expert Advisors only when a new tick for a symbol is received, to the chart of which the Expert Advisor is attached. It's useless to define the OnTick() function in a custom indicator or script, because the NewTick event is not generated for them.
  • The OnCalculate() function is called only in custom indicators when it's necessary to calculate the indicator values by the Calculate event.
dc3463456: "Event handling function not found". Indicator code could be lost if you don't have a backup!
The indicator code must contain OnCalculate.

Vladislav Boyko #:

No, this error can only be caused by missing event handling functions in the source code and nothing else.

The indicator code must contain OnCalculate.

I had all the event handling functions in my code. My indicator was working fine and this error popped up when I tried to edit my code.

Also, the code was lost, which doesn't happen if you simply have an error in your code.

Windows warned me my drive was full today and someone has already made the link between this error and a full drive:

hqawasmi #:
its happened with me and it turned out that hard disk is full because of many testing , to solve just delete MetaQuotes caches and logs inside tester and whener you see and  make some extra space in the hard drive , don't forget to keep getting backups because this will delete your codes 

would my ea work as Normal after encountering this error

Reason: