[Note To Developers] - Request add functions to access/change indicator levels

MQL5 allows you to add/remove indicators to the chart which is a massive plus over MQL4.

However, it will not allow you to alter the value of the Indiator Levels etc. and using custom indicators to over come this problem is not feasible when you want to use the standard indicators like RSI etc for market products and which you do not want to include as a resource because it is too slow in operation.

The situation exists that an EA for example can use an indicator like RSI and be working with non-default levels of say 20/80 rather than the 30/70 but unable to display this on the chart.

These values can be edited via the chart and the indicator properties, so why not provide some functions to access and edit the indicator properties from MQL via the handle?

Alternatively allow indicators embedded as resources to be programatically saved as indicator files in the MT5 terminal and therefore accessed in the normal way avoiding the slow operations of using a resource embedded indicator.

Thank you

I don't usually have a need to display Indicators for my own EAs, but I have had customers request this before from me, so I understand the need.

I have usually resolved it with rewritten custom indicators or with horizontal line graphical objects, but it's not very elegant.

So, I too would welcome such functionality. I second this request to developers.

Paul Anscombe:

MQL5 allows you to add/remove indicators to the chart which is a massive plus over MQL4.

However, it will not allow you to alter the value of the Indiator Levels etc. and using custom indicators to over come this problem is not feasible when you want to use the standard indicators like RSI etc for market products and which you do not want to include as a resource because it is too slow in operation.

The situation exists that an EA for example can use an indicator like RSI and be working with non-default levels of say 20/80 rather than the 30/70 but unable to display this on the chart.

These values can be edited via the chart and the indicator properties, so why not provide some functions to access and edit the indicator properties from MQL via the handle?

Alternatively allow indicators embedded as resources to be programatically saved as indicator files in the MT5 terminal and therefore accessed in the normal way avoiding the slow operations of using a resource embedded indicator.

Thank you

What is this "slow in operation" issue you are talking about ?

I never noticed that for MT5.

Alain Verleyen #: What is this "slow in operation" issue you are talking about ? I never noticed that for MT5.

When you embed custom indicators as a resource, testing in the Strategy Tester becomes much slower than if not embedding an indicator as a resource.

Fernando Carreiro #:

When you embed custom indicators as a resource, testing in the Strategy Tester becomes much slower than if not embedding an indicator as a resource.

As I said previously I have never noticed that for MT5.

Behaviour not reproducible (I checked).

Alain Verleyen #: As I said previously I have never noticed that for MT5. Behaviour not reproducible (I checked).

It has been reported by several users before and I too have experienced it (but not reported it), but you will notice it mostly during optimisations as it mainly affects the loading time.

Fernando Carreiro #:

It has been reported by several users before and I too have experienced it (but not reported it), but you will notice it mostly during optimisations as it mainly affects the loading time.

It has been reported for MT4.

Issues not reported (correctly) just doesn't exist.

Alain Verleyen #: It has been reported for MT4. Issues not reported (correctly) just doesn't exist.

I don't have enough information to be able to refute that. However, irrespective of it being an issue on MT5 or not, this thread is not about the "resource" issue. It's about the indicator levels not being programmatically accessible.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I don't have enough information to be able to refute that. However, irrespective of it being an issue on MT5 or not, this thread is not about the "resource" issue. It's about the indicator levels not being programmatically accessible.

It's related as it's the reason given to not use custom indicators.

You need very strong arguments for Metaquotes change or add something.

Alain Verleyen #: It's related as it's the reason given to not use custom indicators. You need very strong arguments for Metaquotes change or add something.

You are "cherry picking". It was only one of the reasons. There were others reasons, just as relevant.

However, as you inferred, I don't see MetaQuotes giving it any priority at all and this request will probably just be ignored.

Reason: