Programmimg need help to get started new for it :-)also have an idea (grid trading)

Hey all traders

im new for programming so i would like some help to get mee startet to learn the basics of programming. if any have some suggestions were i should start and how to learn the basic language please help mee. I have an idea for an expert advisor (should allow auto trading) should bee pretty simpel. should bee based on candle close above below a grid level a stop and rewerse sytem if any have the interest to help thanks for the help happy trading all :-)

Howdy Jannik

Probably the easiest way to get started in MQ4 programming is to look at the code that others have written and compare this to what you see in the MetaEditor dictionary.

MetaTrader v4 comes with the code for many of the indicators and advisors, and you can also look at code that is shown in other message threads in this forum.

It won't do you much good to look at code written in v3 of MetaTrader as the programming language is SIGNIFICANTLY different between the two versions.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any handbook for programming. Just look at the examples provided, look at lots of working indicators, be prepared for lots of syntax errors the first few times that you write some code.

Hope this helps.

G'Jim c):{-

hey thanks for the reply

yes i will try to learn the mt 4 language but i was thinking if there was a kind of english/mq4 programming book a kind of (english/ danish word book) hope you understand what i mean

I think looking at other's code (and comparing it to dictionary) is probably one of the best ways to learn good MQL4 techniques.

However, if you are totally new to programming, you really need to learn some basic concepts that aren't going to be obvious just by looking at other's code.

MQL4 is based off C/C++. (Thank goodness!) Take a look at this tutorial. It should give you a base from which to work from. Learn basic C concepts and then learn MQL4. ...just my opinion.

http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerctutoria1/l/blctut.htm

Once MetaQuotes creates a good MQL4 manual, that should replace the need for a C tutorial.
Reason: