Guide on modifying EAs to be able to autotrade + backtest with custom symbol charts?

Please see subject thanks!

I've had an EA built and would like to add support for autotrading and backtesting with custom symbol charts, e.g., <link to market product removed>

I thought once I found a guide or YouTube video on how to modify EAs to interact with custom symbol chart data, but I can't find it now!

Thanks =)

ddchbm:Please see subject thanks!. I've had an EA built and would like to add support for autotrading and backtesting with custom symbol charts, e.g., <link to market product removed>

I thought once I found a guide or YouTube video on how to modify EAs to interact with custom symbol chart data, but I can't find it now! Thanks =)

You cannot live trade a Custom Symbol. You can only back-test it or use it as a reference to trade a real symbol.

As for the back-test, you have already been answered ...

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How to modify EA's code so that it can backtest & autotrade on custom symbol charts?

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.11.29 20:49

There is nothing special to do. If your EA is properly coded to automatically adjust to different contract specifications, then all you have to do is select the Custom Symbol in the Strategy Tester and test it normally.

EDIT: By "automatically adjust to different contract specifications", I mean the same things that would be expected for an EA the pass the Market verification process.

Fernando Carreiro #:

You cannot live trade a Custom Symbol. You can only back-test it or use it as a reference to trade a real symbol.

As for the back-test, you have already been answered ...

Thanks Fernando, I actually forgot I wrote that other post (your memory is better than mine)!

Regarding autotrading, ok, then this should be taken to mean, "use it as a reference to trade a real symbol" as you said (thanks for clarifying).

As you have answered the backtesting question, could we take the next steps regarding using it as a reference?

ddchbm #: As you have answered the backtesting question, could we take the next steps regarding using it as a reference?

Using it as "Reference" simply means that an EA would be trading for example EUR/USD on the H1 chart, but using for example a Custom Symbol of Renko blocks to make decisions for the entry conditions.

In the EA you would use normal iClose, iOpen or whatever other functions you need but for the Custom Symbol instead of the EURUSD.

For example you would use:

double  open  = iOpen( "Custom.Renko.EURUSD", period, shift );

Instead of :

double  open  = iOpen( _Symbol, period, shift );
Reason: