Importing bars in MT5 not working as expected

I'm trying to import data for M1 bars but having an issue importing more than 2048 lines from a csv file.

The csv file contains 300k+ rows but the import window only shows up to 2048. If I hit OK and try to import those 2048 the progress bar indicates that it is importing 300k+ bars but nothing shows up when requesting a date range.

If I limit the amount of rows to 2048 in the csv file, the import is successful, I can request a date range, and the chart updates.

Do I need to pay/subscribe to something to import large datasets or what is going on?

Morten Buch: I'm trying to import data for M1 bars but having an issue importing more than 2048 lines from a csv file. The csv file contains 300k+ rows but the import window only shows up to 2048. If I hit OK and try to import those 2048 the progress bar indicates that it is importing 300k+ bars but nothing shows up when requesting a date range. If I limit the amount of rows to 2048 in the csv file, the import is successful, I can request a date range, and the chart updates. Do I need to pay/subscribe to something to import large datasets or what is going on?

Something seems off there. What build of MT5 are you using?

I will assume that you are importing data for a Custom Symbol. Can you describe in detail what you are doing and with screenshots?

Fernando Carreiro #:

Something seems off there. What build of MT5 are you using?

I will assume that you are importing data for a Custom Symbol. Can you describe in detail what you are doing and with screenshots?

Thank you for the reply.

I'm using build 3446 (24 sept 2022).

Yes, I'm trying to add a custom symbol (BTC/ETH) to do some strategy testing. I'm going through the normal procedure of adding a custom symbol and then importing bars from a csv file.

I've included a working and non-working file in this post. The only difference is that the non-working file has more than 2048 rows (2049).

Edit to add: I've tried several different types of encoding for the file, but makes no difference. It also makes no difference which rows I choose from the original file with 300k+ rows. There just seems to be a hard limit of 2048 rows for me, no matter what I do.
Files:

Morten Buch #: Thank you for the reply. I'm using build 3446 (24 sept 2022). Yes, I'm trying to add a custom symbol (BTC/ETH) to do some strategy testing. I'm going through the normal procedure of adding a custom symbol and then importing bars from a csv file. I've included a working and non-working file in this post. The only difference is that the non-working file has more than 2048 rows (2049).Edit to add: I've tried several different types of encoding for the file, but makes no difference. It also makes no difference which rows I choose from the original file with 300k+ rows. There just seems to be a hard limit of 2048 rows for me, no matter what I do.

I can confirm the same on my setup, on build 3446. I also tried it in build 3340 and 3320 and the same happened. So, I don't know how far back it has been like this.

All I can suggest, since this is what I have been doing for myself a long time, is to build the the Custom Symbol via code, by reading the file and adding the data directly with the CustomSymbols functions.

Documentation on MQL5: Custom Symbols
Documentation on MQL5: Custom Symbols
  • www.mql5.com
Custom Symbols - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Fernando Carreiro #:

I can confirm the same on my setup, on build 3446. I also tried it in build 3340 and 3320 and the same happened. So, I don't know how far back it has been like this.

All I can suggest, since this is what I have been doing for myself a long time, is to build the the Custom Symbol via code, by reading the file and adding the data directly with the CustomSymbols functions.

Thank you for testing/confirming and the suggestion to use a script - I'll try to cook something up.

Reason: