SELL = Bid Price, BUY = Ask Price

Hi,

I starting to get very confused. I was told the prices were as the subject of this topic. However, I have found several online references that say it is SELL= Ask Price, and BUY = Bid price. 

CAN Anyone help and give me the definitive answer ?

A buy is opened at ask and closed at bid.

A sell is opened at bid and closed at ask.

grahambl:

Hi,

I starting to get very confused. I was told the prices were as the subject of this topic. However, I have found several online references that say it is SELL= Ask Price, and BUY = Bid price. 

You buy at the Ask and sell at the Bid. Pending Buy Stop orders become market orders when hit and open at the Ask.

1. Your buy order's TP/SL (or Sell Stop's/Sell Limit's entry) are triggered when the Bid / OrderClosePrice reaches it. Using Ask±n, makes your SL shorter and your TP longer, by the spread. Don't you want the specified amount used in either direction?

2. Your sell order's TP/SL (or Buy Stop's/Buy Limit's entry) will be triggered when the Ask / OrderClosePrice reaches it. To trigger close to a specific Bid price, add the average spread.
              MODE_SPREAD (Paul) - MQL4 programming forum - Page 3 #25

3. The charts show Bid prices only. Turn on the Ask line to see how big the spread is (Tools → Options (control+O) → charts → Show ask line.)
    Most brokers with variable spreads widen considerably at end of day (5 PM ET) ± 30 minutes. My GBPJPY shows average spread = 26 points, but average maximum spread = 134 (your broker will be similar).

grahambl:

Hi,

It can be confusing - I remember it with the letters S and B and by considering the broker's perspective:

a'S'k   = broker 'S'ells 

'B'id   = broker 'B'uys

More detailed explanation here https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bid-and-ask.asp

What Is Bid and Ask?
What Is Bid and Ask?
  • www.investopedia.com
The term "bid and ask" (also known as "bid and offer") refers to a two-way price quotation that indicates the best potential price at which a security can be sold and bought at a given point in time. The bid price represents the maximum price that a buyer is willing to pay for a share of stock or other security. The ask price represents the...

Buy at Ask Close at Bid

Sell at Bid Close at Ask

Ask Price will always Higher than Bid Price. If we can buy at Bid price and sell at Ask price. Then we buy then sell at the same momment. And will always profit :)

Agus Wahyu Pratomo #: . If we can buy at Bid price and sell at Ask price. Then we buy then sell at the same momment. And will always profit :)

Read the answers in #1 … #4. There is no buy at Bid, there is no sell as Ask. You can't do the impossible. And will never profit :(

Reason: