From theory to practice. Part 2 - page 131

Aleksey Nikolayev:

When thinning ticks youshould by no means eliminate local extrema that correspond to movements greater than a certain predefined threshold. If we thin out ticks till the extremums are the only ones left, then we will obtain a zigzag - our old friend)

But you saw, Shura, saw - they are graceful)

When they say it's simple - you have to buy at the lows and sell at the highs, it just means that when analyzing a quote time series, the extremes are the most important thing. The threshold is more or less clear, spread + commission. But it is not clear what gives the zigzag indicator. Has anybody managed to obtain true series extrema, points of highs and lows using the zigzag indicator? I have not, that is why I am asking. Does anyone know how to do it? Can you please tell me...

Алексей Тарабанов:

Leave me alone, toothless one. Your caresses are disgusting.

There were smart thoughts in the middle of this forum thread that no one paid attention to.

Vladimir:
When they say it's simple - you have to buy at the lows and sell at the highs, that's exactly what it means when analyzing a quote time series, extremes are the most important thing. The threshold is more or less clear, spread + commission. But it is not clear what gives the zigzag indicator. Has anyone managed to obtain true series extrema, points of highs and lows using the zigzag indicator? I have not, that is why I am asking. Does anyone know how to do it? Can you please tell me...

In real time?

Алексей Тарабанов:

In real time?

At least in some, let it lag as long as you like.

Алексей Тарабанов:

In real time?

I'm ready.

Vladimir:
When they say it's simple - you have to buy at the lows and sell at the highs, it just means that when analyzing a quote time series, the extremes are the most important thing. The threshold is more or less clear, spread + commission. But it is not clear what gives the zigzag indicator. Has anyone managed to obtain true series extrema, points of highs and lows using the zigzag indicator? I have not, that is why I am asking. Does anyone know how to do it? Can you tell me please...
I did it, the zigzag has nothing to do with it, not at all.

Алексей Тарабанов:

I'm ready.

Ready to give you a hint or what? On a graph, manually, anyone can show them.

spiderman8811:
Successful, zigzagging has nothing to do with it, not at all.
How did it work? With another indicator?

Vladimir:
And with what? With another indicator?
Yes with other indicators. You have to filter, it just won't work. Google supply and demand, imbalance. (It's not a grail). I got away from it, but it should help you solve the problem.

spiderman8811:
Yes with other indicators. You have to filter, it just won't work. Google supply and demand, imbalance. (It's not a grail). I got away from it, but it should help you solve the problem.
Thanks. My whole problem was that there is a very widespread belief that the zigzag indicator builds extremes. It was important to hear further confirmation that it doesn't. I was left wondering if I just didn't understand the indicator settings.
Reason: