Statistics, optimisation and "lucky coin" .... - page 7

alsu:

It may sound categorical, but everything they say in lectures and books is bullshit. I don't deny that at one time it might have been profitable, but the markets change, sometimes invisibly, but quite noticeably for one strategy or another. Without going into too much detail about what happens to a trading idea when it becomes publicly available, one could say that the market, as the number of participants tied to a particular pattern increases, simply grinds down those areas of inefficiency, literally turning them into information noise. Anyone who wants to make money in the market for any length of time has to keep his findings secret. So anyone who uses "generally accepted" ideas is either cheating himself, not understanding what's really going on, or is leaking. Either deceives AND leaks. Or in order to make the right impression on others pretends that all is well (of course, the generally accepted system, the classics!) - You have to avoid them a mile away.
A well-known myth....

alsu:

It may sound categorical, but everything they say in lectures and books is bullshit. I don't deny that at one time it might have been profitable, but the markets change, sometimes invisibly, but quite noticeably for one strategy or another. Without going into too much detail about what happens to a trading idea when it becomes publicly available, one could say that the market, as the number of participants tied to a particular pattern increases, simply grinds down those areas of inefficiency, literally turning them into information noise. Anyone who wants to make money in the market for any length of time has to keep his findings secret. So anyone who uses "generally accepted" ideas is either cheating himself, not understanding what's really going on, or is leaking. Either deceives AND leaks. Or in order to make the right impression on others pretends that all is well (of course, the generally accepted system, the classics!) - You have to avoid them a mile away.

+1

alsu:

Perhaps to sound categorical, .......

I always read your comments with interest, even though I don't always agree with the conclusions - they reek of reason.

I don't agree this time either. It does sound overly categorical.

Anyway, there are long-established and generally accepted "postulates" that all traders follow. To them we can refer resistance/support Pivot Point levels, all four MA200, CCI indicator (there are others I have no idea about).

Although everyone knows about them, they work flawlessly and are simple and straightforward.

Pivot Point levels are even printed daily by many revered publications.

And the knowledge of these "postulates" does not prevent anyone from trading. On the contrary. They really help.

DhP:

Anyway, there are long-standing and generally accepted "postulates" that all traders follow. These include Pivot Point resistance/support levels, all four MA200's, the CCI indicator (there are others that I am not aware of).

Although everyone knows about them, they work flawlessly and are simple and straightforward.

And the knowledge of these "postulates" does not prevent anyone from trading. On the contrary. They really help.

They help investors more than short-term Forex speculators...

And it is more about the strategies of the latter.

DhP:

I always read your comments with interest, even though I don't always agree with the conclusions - they reek of reason.

Anyway, there are long-established and generally accepted "postulates" that all traders follow. To them we can refer resistance/support Pivot Point levels, all four MA200, CCI indicator (there are others I have no idea about).

Can you imagine it, or take your word for it?))

Avals:
Can you imagine, or take your word for it?)))

Put these indicators on your charts and you will see for yourself.

Use them without any restrictions available to everyone.

DhP:

Everyone is different, yep.

TheXpert:
Everyone is different, yeah.

It depends on how you count. In any case, the difference is not great or crucial.

TheXpert:
Everyone is different, yeah.

Should they be the same?

DhP:

Brush and paint really works, so do the keys on the piano. The SMA formula really counts. Supply and demand really move prices, and news really moves supply and demand. But these simple facts don't help everyone, you will agree.
Reason: