Change Meta Editor Color Theme

Hey all,

I saw a blog post that said you can change Metaeditors colors by editing a config ini file. However, I see no ini files at all in my MT5 directory.

Anyone know anything about this?

Tristen Shaw: I saw a blog post that said you can change Metaeditors colors by editing a config ini file. However, I see no ini files at all in my MT5 directory. Anyone know anything about this?

MetaEditor menu: Tools → Options → Colors tab

"<MetaTrader Data Folder>\Config\metaeditor.ini"

I don't see anything like that.

And when I check the metatrader/config folder, there are no ini files in it.

Tristen Shaw #: I don't see anything like that. And when I check the metatrader/config folder, there are no ini files in it.

Probably because you have not changed the default settings. It probably only creates the ".ini" file when the settings change.

However, why do you need the file? Just make the changes to the colours directly in the "Options". Please note that you cannot control the colours of the application's GUI itself, only the code windows.

To change the application's actual GUI theme, you have to use 3rd party applications and it has nothing to do with "metaeditor.ini" file.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Probably because you have not changed the default settings. It probably only creates the ".ini" file when the settings change.

However, why do you need the file? Just make the changes to the colours directly in the "Options". Please note that you cannot control the colours of the application's GUI itself, only the code windows.

To change the application's actual GUI theme, you have to use 3rd party applications and it has nothing to do with "metaeditor.ini" file.

I was hoping to be able to copy and paste the themes that some had already come up with that I really liked.

I changed some colors in the settings and the ini still isn't there. Guess I'll have to do it by hand.

Thanks though.

Tristen Shaw #: I was hoping to be able to copy and paste the themes that some had already come up with that I really liked. I changed some colors in the settings and the ini still isn't there. Guess I'll have to do it by hand. Thanks though.

I forgot that I'm using "portable" mode. It may be in another location for standard installations. Have Windows search for the file "metaeditor.ini" under the "user profile" folder.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I forgot that I'm using "portable" mode. It may be in another location for standard installations. Have Windows search for the file "metaeditor.ini" under the "user profile" folder.

No dice. No such file exists according to my search.

But, I've played with the colors for a while and came up with a theme I like.

I do appreciate you being so helpful though. Thank you!

Tristen Shaw #: No dice. No such file exists according to my search. But, I've played with the colors for a while and came up with a theme I like. I do appreciate you being so helpful though. Thank you!
Remember that the "apps" folder under the user profile is considered a system folder and is hidden. You have to first navigate to it manually, and accept the UAC request to receive the administrator elevation to be able to search it.
Reason: