FOREX - Trends, Forecasts and Implications (Episode 5: July 2011) - page 7

VladislavVG:
Not really. The terminology really comes from there. In stock trading there is such a thing as a dividend. When you buy them, they accrue and when you sell them, they are written off. That's why you don't sell shares for very long: you close them as soon as the profit is acceptable. Therefore, a short position is a short position, meaning that it is not held for long, but it is also a synonym for selling, because it is irrelevant for buying. There is a joke that says that an unsuccessful stock purchase can put a speculator trader into the category of investors. That is, the dividends accrued daily on purchase can compensate for a failed entry point.

Now clearly correcting my knowledge.

A short position is a short position, I mean a short held position.

I am generally far away from the stock market, but I understood as I described above and now everything is clear.

Thanks. :-)

margaret:

Called "Fundamental levels".

Fundamental levels for the euro/dollar

$1.4600 strong offers on the way
$1.4580/85 intermediate offers
$1.4555/60 stops
$1.4555 strong offers
$1.4553 intra Europe, Asia high $1.45262
$1.4550 option expiry
$1.4530 large option expiry
$1.4500 option expiry

$1.4489 ***current level

$1.4480 European pullback low area, Asian investor buying
$1.4455/45 intermediate demand/$1.4448 Thursday lows in Europe/US
$1.4420/15 intermediate demand/stops
$1.4400 option expiry/$1.4410 option expiry
$1.4380/70 intermediate demand

Just as a commentary on human psychology. You see this data on a fairly well-known website and you reprint it here. Have you thought about what kind of options, volumes and other details? No you go on, it's a reflection on the media's influence on the minds of the masses...

Martingeil: Short - short position, in the sense of shortage.

No, Askar.

In English there is an expression to be short of. And it translates as being short of.

I'm short of $500 = I'm short of $500.

In English-language financial literature, instead of of of they say in.

I'm short in #AAPL = I'm short in Apple stock = I'm negative in Apple stock.

You explain the origin of the English term short based on its highly unfortunate translation into Russian(short). The adequate translation is short. But that's how short (position) has caught on.

And short has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is often short. That is speculation, which is meant to mitigate the impression of an inadequate translation. A short position could very well be a long position.

The explanation offered by VladislavVG may well smooth out the impression that the term is strange, but it, too, comes from the Russian translation of the term.

Short is a negative position, in the sense of shortage= shortage , deficit.

According to my testing trading strategy I plan to go upwards (price is above the cloud) + one position is on the table since Friday... and the second position was opened today by another strategy If the targets are 1.4648 on the levels of Murray

seolink74: According to my testing trading strategy the market will move upwards (price is above the cloud) + one deal is since Friday... and the second deal was opened today with another strategy If by target, then by Murray levels 1.4648

/Comment deleted as it contains no forecast or intelligible analysis - Mathemat/.

Mixon777, post predictions with numbers. And don't say anything about hamsters and rainbows, it's getting old.

Mixon777:

You're all going to get bored here, people come to talk and discuss -

is such a racket--

"The soul of the elf cannot be understood by the high assembly.

How heavy is the burden, how lonely, in this grey world.

Be strong my friend, our time will come.

The movement, within today and tomorrow, I see it this way.

Down must go....

AndCam:
Down should go down....

Let's not make such statements, back up your words with screenshots with arrows or explanations in words.

So far I agree with Sweet, the target is lower 1.45, approximately, and everything is correct on his picture so far.

M15 chart. Resistance at 1.4582 and upper border of the channel - at breakdown further movement up to 1.48.

Mathemat:

No, it is not, Askar.

In English there is an expression to be short of. It is translated as being short of.

I'm short of $500 = I'm short of $500.

In English-speaking finance literature they say in instead of of of .

I'm short in #AAPL = I'm short in Apple shares = I have a negative number of Apple shares.

You explain the origin of the English term short based on its highly unfortunate translation into Russian(short). The adequate translation is short. But that's the way it has caught on - short (position).

And short of has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is often short of. That is speculation, which is meant to mitigate the impression of inadequate translation. A short position may well be a long position.

The variant of explanation offered by VladislavVG may well mitigate the impression of strangeness of the term, but it, too, comes from the Russian translation of the term.

Short is a negative position, in the sense of shortage= shortage, deficit.

If we believe the terminology, in this case, "short" - is a slang abbreviation of the stock exchange term

"short selling" - sale (of securities) without cover

- a typical slang term that has come down to us from American brokerage houses and stock exchange pits. SHORT in modern financial vocabulary is used to refer to sales without cover, that is, situations where the seller sells an asset without having it.

http://www.m3m.ru/dictionary/216/721.html

http://www.forex.biznesnavsegda.biz/slovar.html

http://www.russian-translators.ru/terminologitcheskiy-komitet/nashi-rekomendatsii/

http://finbay.ru/kratko-o-fondovom-rynke.html

that's the full name of the operation - "short selling", literally. That is why "short" is probably in the sense of holding time. Why such positions are not held for a long time - I wrote above: for the time of holding a position on sale of shares (securities) the dividends (coupon income) are written off additionally - it is more significant sums in comparison with swaps, commissions .....

Reason: