[Archive! - page 14

Is that how it's done in Chernobyl, Victor?

bolt:
Hiroshima, Nagasaka, now the second Chernobyl. For an island nation this is a major disaster with far reaching consequences and conclusions must be drawn. The Japanese must say firmly: "Atom no".

There seems to have been some project to generate energy from disposable capsules that could be mounted in a well.

PapaYozh:

There seems to have been some project to generate energy from disposable capsules that could be mounted in a borehole.

It would be fun to drill all over the ground and put nuclear charges in them.

You have to admit, it's strange. A nation that's survived two nuclear bombings builds nuclear plants.

And the kind that don't guarantee a damn thing...

Mathemat:
Is that how it's done in Chernobyl, Victor?

The heat will be released for years, it has to be vented or it will explode. Radioactive gases and dust go, they are filtered, filters are changed and buried. Several hundred sensors monitor all this, the results are processed and submitted to the IAEA. Today the sarcophagus needs to be replaced, they are waiting for money promised by the European Union.

So it is not just a concrete monolith of a hundred thousand cubic meters, though it is quite problematic to do that too. It is a complex energy-intensive enterprise with a long life span, with well-paid qualified personnel, helping to solve the problem of unemployment in the region.

And I, a fool, thought they just poured concrete down his throat and relied on time to cure everything...

How do you store spent fuel? I mean, it gets hot, too.

I think I'll keep it as a snapshot - all with all the fun. Lyosha, Victor...))

Yes! About the fool. Why Ian hai? So the stars aligned...

Mathemat:
...How do you store spent fuel? It gets hot too, doesn't it?
In Japanese reactors, according to press reports, they are stored there, at the plant, in a cooled pool under a layer of water. Like, all in one bottle, using the infrastructure of the plant.
The Russian fuel is taken to special storage facilities and stored in special ventilated sheds in Vinin' s backyard. I hope I'm joking. :((

granit77:
In the Japanese reactors, according to press reports, they are stored there, at the plant, in a cooled pool under a layer of water. Like, all in one bottle, the plant's infrastructure is used.
The Russian fuel is taken to special storage facilities and stored in special ventilated sheds in Vinin' s backyard. I hope I'm joking. :((

how hot will the rods be if they are not cooled? a pool of spent rods above the reactor! - it all melts and collects in mass at the bottom of the reactor - could there be a nuclear explosion?

всё плавится и общей массой внизу реактора собирается - может ли быть ядерный взрыв?

Unlikely, but I could be wrong. Of course there is a nuclear reaction, but the fuel in a nuclear power plant is not weapons-grade plutonium... You need a much higher concentration of the fuel itself to make a chain reaction.

Chernobyl was a conventional explosion that blew out a lot of radioactive material. Something like a dirty bomb was created.

Reason: