Writing code in Russian. Pros and cons of such a programme. - page 17

Реter Konow:
Comments are written longer than the names of variables and functions. If names are self-explanatory, you can reduce comments to a minimum and not waste time writing them. You can also reduce the time to parse in your own code, if it is large. You can save a lot of time and effort in all aspects of programming and development, while expanding your capabilities.

Once I watched a code from Kazakhstan with comments in the style of: "Luch vairh vekhrt, luchh nyz vekrt". It's a good thing that it was in gibberish in the kamment, but all the variables are clear. Are you suggesting that all languages should also have commands and variables in the local language?

I think so: my approach to code writing is not suitable for everyone. However, if anyone is interested, try to write something in Russian and share your impressions of this "exotic" experience. ))

Vladimir Zubov:

Once I watched a code from Kazakhstan with comments in the style of: "Luch vairh vekhrt, luchh nyz vekrt". It's a good thing that it was in gibberish in the kamment, but all the variables are clear. Are you suggesting that all languages should also have commands and variables in the local language?

You can echo words in English too. Do you speak English fluently? Don't you think some American would look at your code the way you look at the code of that programmer from Kazakhstan?

Реter Konow:
I think so: my approach to code writing is not suitable for everyone. However, if anyone is interested, try to write something in Russian and share your impressions of this "exotic" experience.
Let me write in Ukrainian with Lvov dialect and tell me whether it would be more convenient to understand in English or not ?

Vladimir Zubov:
Let me write in Ukrainian with Lviv dialect and tell me whether it would be more convenient to understand in English or not ?
You are missing the point more than once. Russian in the code, - if the code is for personal use. English - for open source code intended for distribution.

Реter Konow:
Comments take longer to be written than names of variables and functions. If the names are self-explanatory, you can reduce the comments to a minimum and not waste time on writing them. You can also reduce the time for parsing in your own code, if it is large. You can save a lot of time and effort in all aspects of programming and development, while expanding your capabilities at the same time.

A comment is written once when declaring a variable and can then be accessed anywhere in the program. But a long variable name can occur very often in the code, visually and quantitatively increasing the size of the code.

The terms buy, sell, order, position, margin, count, cnt, column, table, array are well known and easy to read; even if there is an error in the variable name, nobody will notice it, while an error in Russian will be stinging. Write in hieroglyphs, it is impossible to make mistakes in words.

Почти половине языков мира грозит исчезновение | Новости культуры, афиша | DW.COM | 22.02.2006
Почти половине языков мира грозит исчезновение | Новости культуры, афиша | DW.COM | 22.02.2006
  • Deutsche Welle (www.dw.com)
  • www.dw.com
Париж - 22.02.2006 Почти половина из шести тысяч языков, на которых говорят в мире, находятся под угрозой вымирания в ближайшие сто лет. Процесс исчезновения проходит со средней...

Let him write as he likes, the main thing is that he understands and is aware of what he is writing about... It is clear to everyone that this style is difficult to perceive the code, and therefore the understanding of the algorithm... But everyone has his own "cockroaches" in his head and he is more comfortable that way.

Andrey Dik:

A comment is written once when declaring a variable and can then be accessed anywhere in the program. But a long variable name can occur very often in the code, visually and quantitatively increasing the size of the code.

The terms buy, sell, order, position, margin, count, cnt, column, table, array are well known and easy to read; even if there is an error in the variable name, nobody will notice it, while an error in Russian will be stinging. Write in hieroglyphs, it's impossible to make mistakes in words there.

I thought we had already said goodbye. ) So you prefer to hide your illiteracy behind English words? That's original. By the way I noticed that your English spelling suffers. But that's ok, learn some English and you'll get better.

Реter Konow:

Well, that makes sense now.

Indeed, when doing custom work providing open source code, you should definitely use English. I agree with that.

However, if we consider efficiency of programming and development as such, it is definitely higher when using a native language. Anybody who has such experience will confirm that.

I'm pretty sure that Americans were ahead of everyone in software technologies exactly because they had a huge initial advantage - the possibility to develop in their native language while other nations had to adapt not only to other languages but to other people's approach (OOP) as well.

To compete with them in their field is to have no chance of winning.

The red highlighted IMHO is a controversial statement. Practice shows that our programmers are in great demand there.

Again, in my opinion, because they write in a non-native language. They do not have the cognitive dissonance that English-speaking people by birth have.

To give a simple example:

VASYA+MASHA=LOVE we have seen on rocks and trees since our childhood and the phrase...

VASIA+MASHA=LOVE causes cognitive dissonance. But in programming, such a situation is quite normal. Whereas, the same phrase in the Latin alphabet reads better...

VASJA+MASHA=SKANDAL because variables are just variables and their relationships are determined by the context of the program and not the context of the language used.

There is another feature in English, which in general no longer discriminates between your and our programmers, but still gives an advantage to those who write programs in English...

Readability of the program greatly depends on the length of names, and the English words are shorter than the Russian ones.

My guess is that the length of a variable name should be 3-4 characters, if it's longer then there's a problem, longer is fine, but it shouldn't be a mass phenomenon. One or two long variables in a block does not spoil readability.

This is especially true for frequently repeated variables. This is why counters are best made single-boolean.

Реter Konow:
You are missing the point more than once. Russian in code - if the code is for personal use. English is for open source code intended for distribution.

Alert("Ротация_кнопок_таскбара

Is it a special form of convenience to write English words in Russian?

Reason: