How to prevent people making expert advisor from copyright indicator?

This people buy profit indicator then making ea..then do fund manage..

Mhd Amran Bin Lop: How to prevent people making expert advisor from copyright indicator? This people buy profit indicator then making ea..then do fund manage..

There is no preventing that, because that is exactly the point of selling Indicators as Market products — for people to use them either manually or by coding an EA for it.

There is no violation of the Copyright, because they are still buying the Indicator to use it, even if in an EA and even if they sell their Signal.

Also, if you were to create limitations in the Indicator to prevent the use in an EA, that would be a violation of the Market product rules.

Your Market product must not have such limitations, so you have to accept that it will be used in EAs.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Also, if you were to create limitations in the Indicator to prevent the use in an EA, that would be a violation of the Market product rules.

Your Market product must not have such limitations, so you have to accept that it will be used in EAs.

Technically it is very well possible for an indicator to check verification data from an EA in various ways. 

Would you care to show the exact passage that you are referring to?

Mhd Amran Bin Lop:

This people buy profit indicator then making ea..then do fund manage..
Why? If someone buys your indicator and creates an EA, this EA won't run on someone else PC unless he buys your indicator as well. So it' a smart way to have additional sells.

Tobias Johannes Zimmer #: Technically it is very well possible for an indicator to check verification data from an EA in various ways. Would you care to show the exact passage that you are referring to?

Read the Market product rules. You are not allowed to limit the use of market products in any way.

IV. Products → 6. The Seller shall not collect users' personal data by means of Products or implement additional custom limitations on the functionality of MQL4/MQL5 applications.

As a separate but also related issue, the following may also be applicable:

IV. Products → 8. The Seller shall not limit Product functionality under separate demo versions. To demonstrate all the features of paid products (including trading panels and analytical applications), Sellers can:
    add videos in the description;
    provide a one-month product rental option for a small fee;
    provide Expert Advisor monitoring results via the "Signals" service.
Rules of Using the Market Service
Rules of Using the Market Service
  • www.mql5.com
General Provisions and Conditions of Use service Market

Fernando Carreiro 2022.03.20 14:09   DE
Tobias Johannes Zimmer #: Technically it is very well possible for an indicator to check verification data from an EA in various ways. Would you care to show the exact passage that you are referring to?

Read the Market product rules. You are not allowed to limit the use of market products in any way.

IV. Products → 6. The Seller shall not collect users' personal data by means of Products or implement additional custom limitations on the functionality of MQL4/MQL5 applications.

As a separate but also related issue, the following may also be applicable:

IV. Products → 8. The Seller shall not limit Product functionality under separate demo versions. To demonstrate all the features of paid products (including trading panels and analytical applications), Sellers can:
    add videos in the description;
    provide a one-month product rental option for a small fee;
    provide Expert Advisor monitoring results via the "Signals" service.

Yes I have read the product rules but I am not sure if they are meant that way. It does not explicitely say that you are not allowed to protect your indicators from being used in other users' EAs. And I would be a little bit concerned if that was the case to be honest.

I have read the product rules. You are right, the first point I overread because it starts out about gathering data on a customer, which you don't really need to have an indicator verify it the EA is your own. But you are right, in the bold print it says there shouldn't be any custom limitations on teh functionality of MQL programs. It makes sense but it is very abstract and I would like to hear a confirmation from an inside person.

The second point is a more recent rule where you are supposed to demonstrate the full functionality in a short rental period instead of having a demo version with limited functionality. This is not directly about copyright protection.

So rule number 8. is the only point (imo) that I found that could really have something to do with the original topic, but I am still sceptical. Why did they put data gathering and custom limitations in one sentence, and why should this have implications on protecting your copyrighted indicators?

I would hope some moderator could explain this passage in more detail.

Carl Schreiber
Why? If someone buys your indicator and creates an EA, this EA won't run on someone else PC unless he buys your indicator as well. So it' a smart way to have additional sells.

Yes, but it seems clear that he wants to sell the EA himself. Also if somebody makes an EA from his indicator and sells that, it would be about copyright, no?

Tobias Johannes Zimmer #: Yes, but it seems clear that he wants to sell the EA himself. Also if somebody makes an EA from his indicator and sells that, it would be about copyright, no?

No, it would not, because as Carl pointed out, the customer would have to purchase both the Indicator and the EA, not just the EA. There would be no copyright violation nor any sales circumvention.

EDIT: And he, the author of the Indicator, can still sell his own EA as well and he can even embed his own Indicator into the EA, making it easier for the customer, while the 3rd party EA will not be able to do that.

Carl Schreiber #:
I agree this..i mean if i compile in meta editor..then i sell personallly at facebook..not at mql5..they can copy indicator to others pc and create ea..then manipulate..

Mhd Amran Bin Lop #:
I agree this..i mean if i compile in meta editor..then i sell personallly at facebook..not at mql5..they can copy indicator to others pc and create ea..then manipulate..

So your original question was about how to protect your indicator sold outside of this site and not about the Market products sold here?

If that is the case, for products sold elsewhere, then you can protect them in which ever way you wish, be it against the customer's trading account, or broker name, expiration date, connecting to a license server, etc.

Maybe this article helps
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/128686
I am not sure how an indicator should check if it is being sold outside of mql.com markets though
Reason: