MT4/5 product licenses lost after hard disk replacement in the same computer

Team,

I needed to exchange the boot harddisk in my computer where the MTx versions where installed, because a disk check tool reported HW degradation.

The new disk was created using a cloning tool from the HDD vendor as an exact 1:1 all-partition clonefrom the orginal disk. The new HDD was inserted into the same computeras the old disk was before.

No SW changes had been applied at all - and NO Microsoft OS registration was necessary as the OS (Windows 10) had exactly the same data. 

Without any changes being applied to the entire computer installation, after powing the computer on with the new HDD, and immediately starting the MTx terminals, the MT4 and MT5 installations lost the information about broker accounts and reported the buyed and downloaded product licenses as being invalid now.

Apparently the MTx installations "believe" they are on a different computer now what they aren't.

Is there a way to fix the problem? Or, at least, to increase the available license counts in MQL buyer's purchasing data so that there is no loss of licenses?

I'm not aware that the MQL policy is that a replacement of a faulty disks leads to licenses losses and that the buyer would have to accept this.

Thank you in advance!

johnsteed:

I'm not aware that the MQL policy is that a replacement of a faulty disks leads to licenses losses and that the buyer would have to accept this.

It changes the hardward id so it costs an activation.  This is what the activations are for to allow this kind of thing to occur

Understood, thanks Paul.

However, let me add then that the concept to tie the installation ID to a disk seems to make less sense than to tie it to a main board or CPU idenfier.

johnsteed #:

Understood, thanks Paul.

However, let me add then that the concept to tie the installation ID to a disk seems to make less sense than to tie it to a main board or CPU idenfier.

Did you try installing the product again from the market? Most products have at least "5 activations", and from what I understood while reading about it, for that product attached to your account, you could activate it on 5 different Operating system, with a single purchase.

johnsteed #:

Understood, thanks Paul.

I agree but that is how they do it.

Thank-god Avwerosuoghene Odukudu #:
Did you try installing the product again from the market? Most products have at least "5 activations", and from what I understood while reading about it, for that product attached to your account, you could activate it on 5 different Operating system, with a single purchase.

Yes that's how it works, however this wasn't the question - that was if a HDD replacement really requires ot spend one these activations. Activations are also needed to install products on separate test platforms, when VPS providers change, etc. 5 activations in that view is a fairly small number if products are intended for use over several years.

I think MQL has some unfortunate techincal approaches incl. to place the MQL data folder in the user profile in the hidden folder structure under AppData\Roaming. Conceptually, Microsoft thought the hidden user profile would be a relatively small data repository - when one uses MQL for several brokers and do intensive backtesting, several 100 GB data can accumulate, what causes quickly trouble with disk partitions where the users' folders are sitting. The MT installation routine misses the obvious option to place the MQL data folder on a selectable partition and folder (you can only change the folder where the program files go, but that isn't a problem as that folder keeps being small all the time). So when the user recognizes being in trouble with disk space and needs to work with the disks, an additional punishment comes on top in form of a loss of activations (each one having an financial value).

johnsteed #:

Yes that's how it works, however this wasn't the question - that was if a HDD replacement really requires ot spend one these activations. Activations are also needed to install products on separate test platforms, when VPS providers change, etc. 5 activations in that view is a fairly small number if products are intended for use over several years.

I think MQL has some unfortunate techincal approaches incl. to place the MQL data folder in the user profile in the hidden folder structure under AppData\Roaming. Conceptually, Microsoft thought the hidden user profile would be a relatively small data repository - when one uses MQL for several brokers and do intensive backtesting, several 100 GB data can accumulate, what causes quickly trouble with disk partitions where the users' folders are sitting. The MT installation routine misses the obvious option to place the MQL data folder on a selectable partition and folder (you can only change the folder where the program files go, but that isn't a problem as that folder keeps being small all the time).

This is not a MQL5.con bug but a windows one, since after any new major software of hardware update the computer is re-named.

Even the browsers or a simple google account login, thinks that you are a different computer after these updates.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

This is not a MQL5.con bug but a windows one, since after any new major software of hardware update the computer is re-named.

Even the browsers or a simple google account login, thinks that you are a different computer after these updates.

Sorry I'm not getting this well ... after the disk change via clone, all tested programs behave as before, except the MT terminals.

That is why a better approach could be to tie the installation to information fundamental to what is on the computer electronic board and not to removable parts which are intended for easy exchange. Serial numbers of components like main board, CPU, etc.

At the end, MQL Marketing to see if the product over time could be still improved, or will stay still in this regard where it is since a long time already.
Reason: