Discussion of article "Better Programmer (Part 07): Notes on becoming a successful freelance developer"

New article Better Programmer (Part 07): Notes on becoming a successful freelance developer has been published:

Do you wish to become a successful Freelance developer on MQL5? If the answer is yes, this article is right for you.

Do not apply for a job that you are not sure how you are going to do, just because the price is high. Since money is sweet and I believe is the first reason why you decided to become a freelance developer in the first place, it is easy to get persuaded into thinking that you are going to figure and sort things out along the way as you work. To my experience, this mindset does not work in the freelance, especially to serious customers who know exactly what they are looking for and to jobs with tight deadlines.

See, most areas in programming require a lot of work and effort in learning to master them, so thinking that you are going to learn something and be able to effectively implement it several hours is disgusting.

The second job that I did in the freelance was a job to create several indicators, to convert some from MQL4 to MQL5 and to create one Expert Advisor that uses all of them. The job was only 30 $, but I decided to take it. Honestly, I knew that the indicators he wanted were going to be difficult for me to create after he fully explained to me all the logic and what he wanted on the discussion section of the job because I was a noob to the subject of indicators (till this day), because I don't learn them, code them, or use them. As a result of me taking that job, I ended up executing the job in 81 days.

long job execution time MQl5 freelance

If we take the math on how much I was being paid per day during the entire time.

30 / 81  = 0.37 $

I was earning 37 cents per day during the entire time. What a waste of time! I know 81 days sounds a long time but trust me when I say that you won't do it every day. There are some weeks that I did not do anything to it because it was hard and boring and was not something that I wanted to do. Neither did I not want arbitration because I made a mistake accepting the job and I wanted to finish it no matter what.

If you see a job on a certain subject that you are ignorant of and you want to learn, take note of it and learn by doing it outside of the work on your normal learning routines. The same job will probably appear in the future.

Author: Omega J Msigwa

Looks great, keep it up, Thanks

You did a great work 

It's different than real work on freelance.

Great 

Great, and that why you are a busy man today :)