main.mq4 file looks like this:

#include <include_a.mqh>
#include <include_b.mqh

both include files have the same enum defined, say

enum FirstName {
  John,
  Mary
};

When I try to compile the main file, it throws an error saying that the enumerator and its identifiers are already defined.

Now, I know I could remove the definition of the enum from one of the include files and it'll compile perfectly, but if I try to compile the include file that is missing the enum, it throws an error saying, " FirstName - declaration without type", which is expected, but I don't want to have to see that message every time I try to compile.

Is there a way around this?

Edit: I know that include files aren't necessarily compiled, but that's what I use to check for errors in MetaEditor while working on the include file.

Use a third include file.

Alain Verleyen:
Use a third include file.

Thanks for the response.

If I do what I think you're suggesting, I would just end up removing the enum definition from the first two includes, put it in a third include, but when I'm working on one of the first two includes and try to compile (to check for errors), it'll give me an error stating "declaration without a type."

Alexander Martinez:

Thanks for the response.

If I do what I think you're suggesting, I would just end up removing the enum definition from the first two includes, put it in a third include, but when I'm working on one of the first two includes and try to compile (to check for errors), it'll give me an error stating "declaration without a type."

Like Alain said, use a third file:

// theenum.mqh
enum TheEnum {};

// include_a.mqh
#include <theenum.mqh>

// include_b.mqh
#include <theenum.mqh>

// main.mqh
#include <include_a.mqh>
#include <include_b.mqh>
This way the enum will be always included if you use your include a or b.

Alexandre Borela:

Like Alain said, use a third file:

This way the enum will be always included if you use your include a or b.

Ahh, I get it now.

Thanks for the help!

Reason: