For notification alerts (to mobile), does MT4 have to remain open all the time?

I'm running MT4 on Windows 10. I prefer to close it when not trading so it's not using CPU/Mem, but if I've set the mobile push notification type of alerts on some of the charts I have open, does MT4 need to remain open and running all the time (even in the background) or are these alerts triggered on the server somewhere, so I can close MT4 when I'm not actually trading?

Thanks

Do you really expect it to do anything when it's not running?

If you run the MT4 Mobile App on your cell phone you can still track all of your trades. Of course nothing ( EAs or Indicators) on your computer with MT4 will be running when MT4 is off.  Your cell phone account also links up with your broker; so you can trade

using your mobile phone. Note: Once a Trade is entered, it is on the Broker's server as is; with what ever SL, TP, Buy/Sell Limit or Stop orders entered. If no stop loss, it will keep going until no money to make trades. If in profit with no TP, nothing happens until you

close it out! If Stop or Limits orders are set, they will execute as entered. Actually, you don't even need the cell phone either, once your trades are entered; as they are on the Broker's server.

William Roeder:
Do you really expect it to do anything when it's not running?
Yes I do, because as a web and mobile developer myself, I know any half-decent system would run an alert off server side (especially as that's where the data is coming from) rather than relying on a client terminal being open. Hence my question! I am genuinely surprised if they have designed the system to be that incapable.

CHARLESS11:

If you run the MT4 Mobile App on your cell phone you can still track all of your trades. Of course nothing ( EAs or Indicators) on your computer with MT4 will be running when MT4 is off.  Your cell phone account also links up with your broker; so you can trade

using your mobile phone. Note: Once a Trade is entered, it is on the Broker's server as is; with what ever SL, TP, Buy/Sell Limit or Stop orders entered. If no stop loss, it will keep going until no money to make trades. If in profit with no TP, nothing happens until you

close it out! If Stop or Limits orders are set, they will execute as entered. Actually, you don't even need the cell phone either, once your trades are entered; as they are on the Broker's server.

Great thanks for the info. But does that apply specifically to alerts too, or do they need MT4 on my computer to be open?

889996351: Yes I do,

No computer runs when it is turned off. No software runs when it is turned off.

889996351:But does that apply specifically to alerts too, or do they need MT4 on my computer to be open?

It applies to all software. Any software. What part of “Do you really expect it to do anything when it's not running” was unclear to you?

William Roeder:

No computer runs when it is turned off. No software runs when it is turned off.

It applies to all software. Any software. What part of “Do you really expect it to do anything when it's not running” was unclear to you?

I fully agree with those statements ;-)

Alerts could be sent from either a.) a MetaTrader server, or b.) broker server. Those are running all the time. I assume therefore it's not set up to do that.

you can do it with a vps if you pay for it. the thing is you just want to save your own cpu and expect others to help you run your stuff for granted.
everything comes with a price

889996351:
Great thanks for the info. But does that apply specifically to alerts too, or do they need MT4 on my computer to be open?
 No Alerts when MT4 is off; as they come from MT4; even the ones sent to your cell phone originate from MT4.
Reason: