Books to learn how to build an EA using MQL4

Please your recommendations.......

Ston01:

I suggest you learn by studying source codes available here for download.. 

It is the best way to learn, and this website/forum/community has a very full detailed documentation about every command and parameters of the language.

Get some simple source code, download, edit it to learn how it works, re-compile, and use the documentation available here.

Of course, if needed, ask here on the forum and others may help if you get "stuck" into some problem.

There is no need to have a book, the best "book" is MQL Documentation and source code examples widely available here.

This is how I learned deeply the MQL language and functions, about 4 years ago when started and tried to make my first indicador and EA. 

The community here is my source of knowledge, and nowadays I am able to give back contributions to this community, from what I learned.

Be welcome.

Ston01: Please your recommendations.......

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Something Interesting to Read

Sergey Golubev, 2017.09.16 05:40

Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 4

This book will teach you the following concepts:

• The basic of the MLQ4 language, including variables and data types, operations, conditional and loop operators, functions, classes and objects, event handlers and more.
  • Place, modify and close market and pending orders.
  • Add a stop loss and/or take profit price to an individual order, or to multiple orders.
  • Close orders individually or by order type.
  • Get a total of all currently opened orders.
  • Work with OHLC bar data and locate basic candlestick patterns.
  • Find the highest high and lowest low of recent bars.
  • Work with MetaTrader’s built-in indicators, as well as custom indicators.
  • Add a trailing stop or break even stop feature to an expert advisor.
  • Use money management and lot size verification techniques.
  • Add a flexible trading timer to an expert advisor.
  • Construct several types of trading systems, including trend, counter-trend and breakout systems.
  • Add alert, emails, sounds and other notifications.
  • Add and manipulate chart objects.
  • Read and write to CSV files.
  • Construct basic indicators, scripts and libraries.
  • Learn how to effective debug your programs, and use the Strategy Tester to test your strategies.

All of the source code in this book is available for download, including an expert advisor framework that allows you to build robust and fully-featured expert advisors with minimal effort.

Ston01:

Do not make multiple posts about the same subject.
I have deleted your other posts.

The best book is book.mql4.com. However it does have elementary typos. 
Files:
IMG_6969.PNG  78 kb
IMG_6968.PNG  100 kb

clemmo: The best book is book.mql4.com. However it does have elementary typos. 
That is bad advice. That book is old and full of outdated information, with code that can almost be considered obsolete!

why you need books when you have documentation on your Metaeditor and on top of that thousands of free codes on the codebase not to mention a forum full of programmers to help you out when you are stuck

Omega J Msigwa: why you need books when you have documentation on your Metaeditor and on top of that thousands of free codes on the codebase not to mention a forum full of programmers to help you out when you are stuck

Obviously people are not all the same nor do they all think the same way. For some, the documentation is the best way. For others a tutorial-like approach in a book is better. For some, videos are better. And for a few, a personal mentor is the only solution.

Fernando Carreiro:

Obviously people are not all the same nor do they all think the same way. For some, the documentation is the best way. For others a tutorial-like approach in a book is better. For some, videos are better. And for a few, a personal mentor is the only solution.

Yes you are absolutely right

If you don't even know coding, focus on the basics (variables, conditions, loops, arrays, classes..) and do basic stuff first, doesn't matter if it's on mq4/mq5, c++, python, java or any other language

After that, doing an EA would be just searching for the native functions of metatrader to take trades, read indicators and knowing what the event handlers do, how and when

(Also depends on how complex the EA would be, but at that point you could learn and improve it on the way)

Fernando Carreiro:

interesting thanks

Reason: