Some more questions for MT4 vs. MT5

Hi Guys,

I have 2 questions:

1. Should spreads in MT4 vs. MT5 not be the same with the same broker?

One of my brokers offers both MT4 and MT5 and up until now I have only used MT4. Recently, I managed to collect all indicators and scripts for MT5 and am practically ready to use MT5 in the same way as MT4. I notice that recently MT5 has become noticeably faster in opening, loading charts and executing scripts; so, thinking maybe it is time to move to MT5 (I am not using any EAs… so, EA compatibility or availability for MT5 is not an issue for me). What I notice, however, is that on a Demo MT5 account (as said, same broker), the spreads on MT5 are slightly larger than those on MT4. Why would this be the case? Or is it because I am comparing a live MT4 account with a demo MT5 account? Does anybody have experience with having live MT4 and MT5 accounts with the same broker?

2. Why is the hedging in MT4 not the same as in MT5?

An example to explain:

MT4: I have 1100 EURs free margin (EUR account) and buy 1 lot EURUSD → 30 EUR available as free margin (accounting for spread difference or commissions). Then I sell 1 lot EURUSD → 1000 EUR available as free margin. Thus, I can buy at least 0.9 lots more EURUSD...

MT5 (demo supposedly hedge account): I have 1100 EURs free margin (EUR account) and buy 1 lot EURUSD → 30 EUR available as free margin (accounting for spread difference or commissions). Then I sell 1 lot EURUSD → still  30 EUR available as free margin. Thus, selling the same pair makes no difference to my free margin and I cannot buy any more EURUSD. Is this a real hedge account? Or Is there a difference between the hedging in MT4 and MT5? My understanding was that they made MT5 hedging same as in MT4…  Maybe I did not read till the end all of the hedging theory... 

MetaTrader 5 features hedging position accounting system
MetaTrader 5 features hedging position accounting system
  • www.mql5.com
In order to expand possibilities of retail Forex traders, we have added the second accounting system — hedging. Now, it is possible to have multiple positions per symbol, including oppositely directed ones. This paves the way to implementing trading strategies based on the so-called "locking" — if the price moves against a trader, they can open a position in the opposite direction.
Reason: