hhd or ssd for optimization?

hi guys

for a little heavy backtest and optimization in mt5 you recommend HDD or SSD hard disk? or there is no difference?

Birkimson Varzxorani:

hi guys

for a little heavy backtest and optimization in mt5 you recommend HDD or SSD hard disk? or there is no difference?

32GB+ RAM

Nelson Wanyama:
32GB+ RAM

you mean 32GB m2 hard disk or 32GB RAM?

i asked for harddisk.

Birkimson Varzxorani:

you mean 32GB m2 hard disk or 32GB RAM?

i asked for harddisk.

Optimization is done in memory, not on disk. SSD would be good for you, but more RAM would be great for your optimizations.

Birkimson Varzxorani:

hi guys

SSD regardless .

Preferrably (expecially if you develop your own testers) ,separate machine 2 SSD's ,one for the operating system and basic applications second SSD with a portable MT5 version - all read/write on that ssd.

But if you can maximize your RAM too ,do it.

need more research on mt5 though (i recall hitting the 1.7gig memory limit with mt4 ,but that was mt4 and that was 32bit)

Lorentzos Roussos:

SSD regardless .

Preferrably (expecially if you develop your own testers) ,separate machine 2 SSD's ,one for the operating system and basic applications second SSD with a portable MT5 version - all read/write on that ssd.

But if you can maximize your RAM too ,do it.

need more research on mt5 though (i recall hitting the 1.7gig memory limit with mt4 ,but that was mt4 and that was 32bit)

hi Lorentzos

actually i got 8GB RAM on windows 10 64bit

my hraddisk is old and sometimes in optimisation i see on taskmanager that usage of hard disk goes to 98% ! i dont know why

Birkimson Varzxorani:

hi Lorentzos

actually i got 8GB RAM on windows 10 64bit

my hraddisk is old and sometimes in optimisation i see on taskmanager that usage of hard disk goes to 98% ! i dont know why

Its probably using the cache file -if i recall its name correctly- so its running out of memory.

So the HDD ,the one hdd,is tasked with operating the mt ,windows ,and the virtual memory .

An ssd would fair better , but also as Nelson said ,more memory would help as well.

Look for refurbished pc's shops in your area .I do that often.

Buy a machine used in exhibitions ,or damaged externally (scratches bumps etc) the things im looking for is CPU generation ,cores ,ssd and installed OS .Then i find the matching 

maximum possible RAM and an extra SSD drive 

I had a mini analysis on a thread somewhere which the OP had ignored completely .

Lorentzos Roussos:

Its probably using the cache file -if i recall its name correctly- so its running out of memory.

So the HDD ,the one hdd,is tasked with operating the mt ,windows ,and the virtual memory .

An ssd would fair better , but also as Nelson said ,more memory would help as well.

Look for refurbished pc's shops in your area .I do that often.

Buy a machine used in exhibitions ,or damaged externally (scratches bumps etc) the things im looking for is CPU generation ,cores ,ssd and installed OS .Then i find the matching 

maximum possible RAM and an extra SSD drive 

I had a mini analysis on a thread somewhere which the OP had ignored completely .
thanks, ill change my hard disk.im taking your time. and if u have any recommendation for cpu l would be happy to hear.im looking for a better one but there is no documentation for choosing a proper one.  mine is E8400 2 core 3GHz. more cores is better or high frequency?

Birkimson Varzxorani:
thanks, ill change my hard disk.im taking your time. and if u have any recommendation for cpu l would be happy to hear.im looking for a better one but there is no documentation for choosing a proper one.  mine is E8400 2 core 3GHz. more cores is better or high frequency?

Unfortunately i have limited testing on that front ,not taking any time dont worry.

Maybe we can create a common benchmark and run it in individual machines (each user) ,to come up with a performance comparison table.

Lorentzos Roussos:

Unfortunately i have limited testing on that front ,not taking any time dont worry.

Maybe we can create a common benchmark and run it in individual machines (each user) ,to come up with a performance comparison table.

what do u use  RAM & CPU ?  is it fast enough for my purpose?

Birkimson Varzxorani:

Ive got an i3 Gen 2 3.3 Ghz and 16GB of ram . I built it for about ~170 euros ,but i havent used it in a long time .

Someone who is more "into" mt5 testing can guide you better. 

Reason: