If you preset the pairs for trading inside an expert, why does changing the pair in MT5 backtest setup panel, change backtest results?

Tried setting up multiple currency pairs for trading from within in the expert for the first time. Everything seemed fine, with trades from every pair showing up in the backtest report on MT5.

However, just for the hell of it I tried changing the pair on the settings panel in MT5. I assumed this would have no effect because the expert would be dictating which pairs to trade.  To my surprise every time I changed the pair in settings, I got a different backtest result - even though the results still contained trades from all pairs in the expert.

How and why is the backtest altered when I change the pair in setup?

Because you change the pair (EA will attach to one pair if trading).

Sergey Golubev:
Because you change the pair (EA will attach to one pair if trading).

I don't understand. The expert still trades the same pairs no matter what I change the pair to in the settings menu. What is causing the different backtest result if the same pairs are being traded?

telstrareg :

Tried setting up  multiple currency pairs  for trading from  within  in the expert for the first time. Everything seemed fine, with trades from every pair showing up in the backtest report on MT5.

However, just for the hell of it I tried changing the pair on the settings panel in MT5. I assumed this would have no effect because the expert would be dictating which pairs to trade.  To my surprise every time I changed the pair in settings, I got a different backtest result - even though the results still contained trades from all pairs in the expert.

How and why is the backtest altered when I change the pair in setup?

Without seeing your code, no one can help you.

But I will try to turn on the telepathic abilities and assume that you are working (receiving signals) INSIDE THE BAR - that is, you are working on ticks. If so, then this is the answer to your question.

Vladimir Karputov:

Without seeing your code, no one can help you.

But I will try to turn on the telepathic abilities and assume that you are working (receiving signals) INSIDE THE BAR - that is, you are working on ticks. If so, then this is the answer to your question.

If I understand you correctly, the ticks from the pair selected in the the strategy tester setup are driving the the trades for all the pairs in the expert? This doesn't seem very useful. Why wouldn't the strategy tester use the ticks independently from each individual pair that is being tested? Is this even possible to do from within one expert or do you need to run multiple experts simultaneously for each pair to achieve this?

telstrareg :

If I understand you correctly, the ticks from the pair selected in the the strategy tester setup are driving the the trades for all the pairs in the expert? This doesn't seem very useful. Why wouldn't the strategy tester use the ticks independently from each individual pair that is being tested? Is this even possible to do from within one expert or do you need to run multiple experts simultaneously for each pair to achieve this?

You have not understood anything. But you also did not answer me anything and did not show your code.

Vladimir Karputov:

You have not understood anything. But you also did not answer me anything and did not show your code.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't upload the code because I use a visual designer program that turns flow diagrams into code, so it's long and difficult to read..

Even though it's a VERY simple EA, I had to attach the code because it's too long :(

Files:

telstrareg:

Thanks for your reply. I didn't upload the code because I use a visual designer program that turns flow diagrams into code, so it's long and difficult to read..

Even though it's a VERY simple EA, I had to attach the code because it's too long :(

Everything is clear - you do not understand anything in the code. My advice is to start writing your own MQl5 EA yourself. At this stage, you still won't understand anything - since you did not write an advisor, but used some kind of monster to generate the code :)

Each symbol has a different tick frequency - hence there will be a different frequency of transactions. This affects the final result.

Vladimir Karputov:

Everything is clear - you do not understand anything in the code. My advice is to start writing your own MQl5 EA yourself. At this stage, you still won't understand anything - since you did not write an advisor, but used some kind of monster to generate the code :)

Each symbol has a different tick frequency - hence there will be a different frequency of transactions. This affects the final result.

Your explanation makes it clear to me now why I got the different results.

My strengths are insight and creative ways to approach problems. Coding is not my strength. If my ideas turn out to be practical then eventually I will need to code but until then, the way I'm doing it now is more efficient.

Thanks again.

Reason: