How to find raw price ?

Hi

I've noticed recently some discrepancies from broker to broker and from MT4 to MT5 in the values of each candle prices (OHLC prices). Sometimes they are really different

I think i've read that the candle values (OHLC) of a bar are actually based on the Bid value?

so does it means that the displayed values include a spread ? is it a spread as it was when the bar was closed ? or is it some kind of fixed spread ?

I think in MT5 it would be possible to retrieve the real raw prices (without spread affecting the prices), because of the possiblity to retrieve Bid and Ask value in the past for each bar ?

and to compute (Ask+Bid)/2.0 to retrieve the real prices ?

thanks

Jeff

Jean Francois Le Bas:

Hi

I've noticed recently some discrepancies from broker to broker and from MT4 to MT5 in the values of each candle prices (OHLC prices). Sometimes they are really different

I think i've read that the candle values (OHLC) of a bar are actually based on the Bid value?

so does it means that the displayed values include a spread ? is it a spread as it was when the bar was closed ? or is it some kind of fixed spread ?

I think in MT5 it would be possible to retrieve the real raw prices (without spread affecting the prices), because of the possiblity to retrieve Bid and Ask value in the past for each bar ?

and to compute (Ask+Bid)/2.0 to retrieve the real prices ?

thanks

Jeff

Hi

a number of factors involved here:

1) depending on what the instrument is, brokers may have different price feeds and therefore different prices, Forex for example there is no central price

2) brokers may or may not add additional spread to the price feed, depends on your account terms

3) broker will only forward their bid and ask to your terminal, not that of their price feed

4) it is unlikely that  bid + ask / 2 = raw price  it assumes a) there is a raw price and b) the spread is equal either side which is unlikely as it will be impacted by the underlying bids and offers available.

I think taking the means between bid and ask instead of Ask or Bid can mitigate the effect of large spread and get closer to what the raw price should've been
Reason: